Archinect
anchor

Window Manufacturer - Is Jeld-Wen good?

Oct 1 '12 6 Last Comment
Farleft
Oct 1, 12 2:38 pm

Hello Archinect...Hoping you can offer some recommendations for affordable window manufacturers. 

I recently bough a 100 year old home that needs over 20 new windows installed. The windows have some sill rot, but for the most part are in OK condition and I can get away with pocket (insert) window replacement rather than full tear outs.  Of course I'd prefer wood with Alum cladding over vinyl.

I got quotes from a few contractors and they're mostly above my price range once you add labor.  Jeld-Wen was the lowest cost, but I'm not at all familiar with that brand and they seem to have not the best reputation online. My contractors say they're equivalent to Pella (which I realize is also not excellent...but Marvin and Loewen are nearly double their cost).

So, do you have any experience with Jeld-Wen? Are they fine? Or maybe you can recommend another manufacturer that offers a decent but affordable wood window?

For what it's worth, I'm in NJ.

Thanks!

Rusty!
Oct 1, 12 3:46 pm

Arch specifier here. I'm familiar with them, but would not recommend them for anything but low end (aka residential) projects. Pella is shit too. What kind of a climate are you in? I'd let them slide in a moderate climate, but anything too hot or too cold, they are not a great return on investment. Especially with escalating energy costs. What types of windows are you getting? Hung, casement, awning, fixed? How is the rest of the house construction? What is the composition of a typical wall? No use in getting high performance windows if the rest of the house is drafty. 

Forget vinyl. We are trying to phase that stuff out (environmental concernes). Wood or aluminum clad wood. Probably later. Can't really comment beyond this without context. 

Farleft
Oct 1, 12 4:46 pm

Hi Rusty...I should have mentioned that I'm an architect myself...But now I'm in the position of doing a serious budget renovation for myself. All my clientele are much more wealthy, so I'm more used to specifying Marvin, Loewen, Crittal, or custom windows, etc. I'm not as familiar with the Mid to lower-end market.  

For what it's worth, the house is insulated wood frame, and the windows will all be Double Hungs with one Casement. It's a lot of windows. 18 on just the first floor alone, and each one is about 3'6 x 5'-6" so most of our thermal problems are caused by the windows. 

gwharton
Oct 1, 12 4:57 pm

In the lower-price bracket, you can get good thermally-broken aluminum windows for not much money. I've had good results with the Milgard 920 series.

Rusty!
Oct 1, 12 10:35 pm

"who is we in the "we are trying to phase that stuff out"

I really can't speak openly about illuminati, but PVC and CPVC contain known carcinogens. 

Refer to Living Building Challenge and Green Guide for Healthcare MR 4.1

Rusty!
Oct 1, 12 10:36 pm

I'd second gwharton's suggestion for going with thermally broken units, if budget allows.

jameswilson
Oct 11, 12 9:40 am

I don't know much about Jeld-Wen. But you can try Anderson.

• ×Search in:

Please wait... loading
Please wait... loading