Archinect
anchor

Architecture/construction terms that sound dirty

e909

oh weirder? the "" has disappeared. hey. carries past if not followed by linebreak?

Aug 2, 06 11:59 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I just did a google search for "wac track" (which made me giggle) and thus found an item called a "mounting bush".

Aug 28, 06 10:23 pm  · 
 · 
Taesung

Expanding on Strawbeary's comment about caulking. There was an engineer I knew that was notorious for his "cock (caulk) like hell" detail. He would say it on framewalks when there was a messed up detail that might have a leak.

Aug 28, 06 10:27 pm  · 
 · 
coquette

oily butt joints- welding problem
spider nuts- specific threaded hardware for attaching finials to curtain rods

Aug 29, 06 12:55 am  · 
 · 

It's nice to know that in the rattle and hum of these grand construction sites all these hundreds of (generally) men are all, half-wittingly, having sex or making love with their girders, planks, tools. I think that's sweet.

Aug 29, 06 3:21 am  · 
 · 

and so, as we're drawing up those construction details, we're in effect illustrating a kindof Kama Sutra of the site.

Aug 29, 06 3:23 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

roof crackle

Aug 30, 06 11:37 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

groin vault always makes me shmile

Sep 17, 06 11:30 am  · 
 · 
crush

I was just in a presentation by a tile manufacturer over lunch and was reminded of this thread.

He said:

Bush Hammer

A bush hammer is a masonry tool used to texturize stone and concrete. yes!

Sep 26, 06 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
Rim Joist

Jack Arch

Sep 26, 06 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
archasm

sement

Sep 26, 06 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
kyll

at the site with our female (very attractive) structural consultant last year - guys wanted to be fresh, but cleverly:

guy outside trailer sees our consultant- yells out to guy on backhoe that makes alot of noise for some odd reason- more than usual:

"hey! put a plug in that hoe!!"

the whole site erupts in laughter including me.

she's not amused.

even funnier..

Sep 26, 06 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
the righteous fist

tender package

Sep 26, 06 7:38 pm  · 
 · 
luco

jamb

pin

gauge

grout

insert

holdfast

grab

Sep 27, 06 3:29 am  · 
 · 
luco

vibrator

Sep 27, 06 3:32 am  · 
 · 
Ernest

love this tread

Sep 28, 06 8:27 am  · 
 · 

to follow luco's: vibratory driver (for setting piles)

Sep 28, 06 8:40 am  · 
 · 
snooker

queen post

Sep 28, 06 9:53 am  · 
 · 
Ramsey

A line from a spec I just read:

"All masonry material shall be thoroughly wet before being laid."

Sep 29, 06 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
random

Radius of gyration

Oct 2, 06 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
chaptertwo

"kunstwollen" - the complete work of art.

Oct 2, 06 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

I was at a contractor's hardware supply place yesterday trying to straighten out a mess to say the least. You all know how things can go so crazily wrong with hardware and schedules. Well anyhow the long and short of it is I'm looking at installation instructions for a removable double door mullion which Panic hardware locks into when closed. Right there in front of me is an illustration of the various parts of the mullion with titles. Reading from Top to Bottom I see
Set Screw with an illustration ,,,,reading on down I see Sex Screw. I had to ask my friend if this is really what it was called. He barks back at the top of his voice, ya it is a SEX SCREW. The Contractor
ask him why it is called that, which he responds, "Well the Set Screw has to go somewhere."

Jan 27, 07 8:58 am  · 
 · 
PerCorell

When you enter a lift in denmark and press the button , a small red lamp light up on a brass plate with the words "I Fart". (regulations).

In danish "I Fart" mean "Running" or "working" . I often had to explain this to english visitors.

Jan 27, 07 9:48 am  · 
 · 
PerCorell

I cut and paste this from http://liveanddirect.blogspot.com/2005_05_01_liveanddirect_archive.html

"Speaking of farts, the Danish word "fart" means "speed" as well as something like "journey." This leads to endless fun for English speakers as we giggle at all sorts of silly words. The apocryphal story goes that back in the 50s during a visit by Queen Elizabeth II, the Danish government was asked to cover up the signs for the well-known city of Middelfart. It's the city you have to pass through as the midpoint on your way from the mainland of Jutland over to the islands of Fyn and Sjaelland, but evidently it was too much for Her delicate sensibilities. Then there's the upcoming holiday, Kristi Himmelsfart, which literally memorializes "Christ's Heavenly Journey," but has always struck me as a bit blasphemous in a bilingual way.

Recently, my friend Martin and I were driving up to northern Sjaelland for a meeting and passed through a road construction area with a reduced speed area, which led to my favorite sign of all time: "Fart kontrol." I giggled all the way from Copenhagen and back, thinking of the Danish police handing out tickets for violating the fart kontrol.

posted by L&D at 10:23 PM "

Jan 27, 07 10:28 am  · 
 · 
epoxy

butt mate = the person who sits behind you in studio

Jan 27, 07 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Very funny, vindpust.

snooker, the best type of sex screw is, of course, the "post sex screw", which is - really - a male thread that enters a female thread, one of which is elongatd, so the overall screw is a post. I used them in bookbinding.

Jan 27, 07 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

You must know then, a "Cabinet scraper" ,as woodworking and book binding both being the crafts of their day's proberly share some of the same aincient crafts . Just setting the edge onto a cabinet scraper are an arts in itself, aswell the real art of caulking guess what, the caulking what hold the vessel afoat.

A lot of my time, deal trying various inteference patterns analog with superperpe quality projectors antique ofcaurse. For me combing the analog technikes with the digital are ofcaurse my best faviour , Back to Subject whatever that is.

Jan 27, 07 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Speed in the sense of speeding , the act doing it the resemblance the capable efficiency the modern that work, the travel bound , upspeed challancing ,that is making a good fart , doing it well and on the moove ; Now again you romans forgot the language the words daned atleast tree times , had to travel with good fart learning you , just loosing the danish meaning of the word fart , how can you be without the danish rules you learned by core language ?
soon you will lose the very meaning with your own architecture, if verbal treasures are lost with their obligations, you Romans once again are about to loose what you already vasted, if fart is funny then you don't enhance the the several pictures where fart as word picture things, attitudes values, you can't be without.

What you Romans need, is a Viking rampage, a raid someone who with fury will concour and tell you this ,is how it is made.

Jan 27, 07 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

lookin through the indiana limestone handbook.

slip connection
2nuts for lateral adjustment
bush hammer...:P

Mar 21, 07 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
kakacabeza

slurry wall
sump pump

and caulk is always good for jokes, with the right crowd.

Mar 21, 07 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Vado retro ; Caulking was and is a drafts and an art. You wouldn't go to sea in a vessel that was badly caulked, caulking if you think so, is not just stuffing and hammering in caulk into a seam between two planks in a ships hull, it was what made it possible to recaulk an old hull that if it was build well would not need any caulking so tight would the plank edges fit and make wooden boats up to thousands of tonns watertight -- but even a good shipsbuilder could build without the need for caulking they did it anyway ,as if caulked by an artist who know the art of caulking had the 13 different caulking irons it requier master the ability to even caulk along the seam --- then the vessel would float and you could risk your life on the caulking not the planking. In the first iron ships they also caulked --- knowing what it was and being the only way to watertight two overlapping steel plates, caulking now became deforming one halve the edge of one steel plate in a specific way and with a particular air driven tool this was made rivited ships watertight an art to, atleast we owe it to be an art.

Any amature who see a profesional caulker work think he can do the same, do what took years to just get the feel of and hammer in the stuffing, where the profesional caulker will know the exact response to tell him four important parameters about the next blow must fall, the angle of the oucum strip deciding the mass of each new loop, that placed right, will direct the forces vertical along the planking , but the process involv the choice of atleast tree different caulking iron and just one thing wrong and all the other informations right it will produce a bad caulking, the worse situation if the caulker hit just the right blow so the caulking is to tight.

So don't make jokes about caulking it only tell you know nothing about the crafts ,is to arogant to respect the lessons of generations and the arts in details.

Mar 21, 07 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
Buckity

grease the nipples is a construction term?

Mar 21, 07 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

"hammer in the stuffing"

Mar 21, 07 9:57 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

nice caulk...

Mar 21, 07 11:21 pm  · 
 · 
kakacabeza

Apparently vindpust is NOT in the right circle for caulk jokes...he takes his caulk very seriously.

Mar 22, 07 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
not without

does anyone have a zany benny hill-like chase scene video involving rem (dressed as ship's captain), zaha (buxom nurse), and a corbusier impersonator (dirty old man in a dark raincoat)? naughty fun!

Mar 22, 07 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
Rice Milk

I had a professor tell us that we "need to specify how to apply our caulk because you don't want the contractor to spray his caulk wherever he so chooses".

He did this while gyrating his nips and holding onto an imaginary caulk gun by his...well...you know...

Mar 22, 07 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
Rice Milk

Prestressed Member

i.e. baby you can prestress my member any day you want...

Mar 22, 07 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
pvbeeber

Anyone for a full-penetration butt weld involving a rigid member?

Mar 22, 07 6:16 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ
Apr 28, 10 10:28 am  · 
 · 
architerp

3-way gangbox
lay horizontal in a bed of mud
end damming
fill void
grab bar
plumbing equipment
rough opening
sex bolts
hose bibb
lick and stick

Apr 28, 10 10:50 am  · 
 · 
ADavin

I had a Materials professor once tell us:

"There are three ways by which your wood can be nailed:

-Face
-Toe
-End"

Apr 28, 10 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
DisplacedArchitect

Wet system
Dry System
Wet Seal system
Twist Nozzle
Nozzle
Con do it
Pipe Portrusion
Solid Timber
Stud
Dry Joint
Joint
Manhole
expansion joint
Lag bolt
low soffit
High temp. High Strength Concrete
P-trap

Ill stop here got to get back to jobhunting

Apr 28, 10 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

here's one i just found:

BENDING OF NIPPLE BETWEEN THE VALVE AND THE STUD TO ACHIEVE CONNECTION WILL NOT BE PERMITTED.

Apr 28, 10 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
randy1

how bout:
nipple
ball joint
okay - now put the male end into
the female end
grease trap
trap
half lap(ped)
lap
strip(per)
peal and strip
membrane
vapor barrier
energy conservation
erect (steel)
shaft enclosure
ball cock
head
sprinkler (head)
reduce pressure
double check

Apr 28, 10 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ
Apr 28, 10 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
Purpurina

...I'm gonna get my hard hat...
...I'm gonna put some caulk in there...
...I'm gonna purge this layer...

Apr 28, 10 8:24 pm  · 
 · 
tagalong

surprised i haven't seen these on the thread already...

sex bolts and mating screws

Apr 29, 10 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
Keef

Ohmmeter

Feb 28, 11 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
beekay31

3-way switch

waste stack

ejector pit

ejector pump

riser

heavy timber

spackle

Mar 1, 11 8:22 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: