Yes. 

Apr 24, 16 8:29 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

lets see your portfolio

Apr 24, 16 8:41 pm  · 
 · 

Olaf,

I don't have my work packaged into a 'portfolio'. I don't do that ISSUU digital portfolio crap.

Apr 24, 16 9:04 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

and? no one asked for ISSU. lets see sample dwgs

Apr 24, 16 9:18 pm  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

"ISSUU digital portfolio crap" or not, how do you show your work to prospective clients, employers, or firms that want to contract your services as a consultant?  I've never heard of a firm even hiring a student level intern without a portfolio.  If you're trying to get work long-distance, don't you have to have some sort of digital examples?

Apr 24, 16 9:20 pm  · 
 · 

I have an event space, an office space, and 4 home remodels, plus a full time job. I can't imagine any scenario, though, in which I'd spend less time *telling* someone what I need them to do than I'd spend just doing it myself. I'm a draftsman at heart, I guess.

Apr 24, 16 10:21 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Donna, tell me about it. I need skills in other areas, so I can do the "drafting" part of these projects.

Apr 24, 16 11:10 pm  · 
 · 

Sponty,

I just take selective group of the drawings. Most of my projects are hand drawn and drafted by hand. My prospective clients haven't asked for me to show them my previous work. 

Who the hell is wants to look at that stuff? It's class work and often are not CD-level. 

Apr 24, 16 11:23 pm  · 
 · 

b3ta, what are you looking at needing?

It has to be logistically viable. I could be location-wise non-viable for project site work. 

Apr 24, 16 11:29 pm  · 
 · 

Donna, tell me about it. I need skills in other areas, so I can do the "drafting" part of these projects.

B3ta,

Would you elaborate about you are needing?

I understand where Donna is coming from. I often draft things myself. It often easier to do it myself than to tell someone else what I need to have done. 

Apr 24, 16 11:41 pm  · 
 · 
Is it just me or is Rick the sad puppy begging for table scraps?

You have an excuse for everything. Stop making them.
Apr 25, 16 12:09 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

The V&A has banned people from sketching in their exhibits, hahahahahahahaahahahhaaha.

Apr 25, 16 3:49 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

beta, check your email. 

Apr 25, 16 10:55 am  · 
 · 
no_form
I don't know why museums prohibit cell phone photography, and now sketching at that museum. Seriously, people will still go visit even if they see pictures online. Unless there are other reasons?
Apr 25, 16 11:09 am  · 
 · 

case the joint

Apr 25, 16 11:48 am  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

> Most of my projects are hand drawn and drafted by hand

>It's class work and often are not CD-level

goddamn balkans.

let me see if i understand this correctly:  you don't have work to show anyone, because no one asks for it before you get hired.  when hired, you produce hand drawn plans that are not up to CD level.

"Rick Balkans Building Designer, where nothing is drawn correctly and everything is contractor option!"

Apr 25, 16 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
Draws mostly by hand, won't show work, work he has is student work. Asks architects on this website for work. Makes claims and speaks with authority as if he were very experienced and actually owned a business.

The insanity never ends.
Apr 25, 16 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

"Most of my projects are hand drawn and drafted by hand"

Good thing Richardaus Balkachinaultorino clarified that hand drafting is drafted by hand.

Apr 25, 16 1:24 pm  · 
 · 

Dangermouse,

Crap! Importance of proofreading there.

My post was originally substantially longer as you would expect from me. Prior to that last two sentences I switched context to referring to class work. I was deleting out a bunch of sentences and in the process deleted out an important context switch.  I'll rewrite and correct the post below:

Corrected version:

Sponty,

I just take selective group of the drawings. Most of my projects are hand drawn and drafted by hand. My prospective clients haven't asked for me to show them my previous work. 

As for class work, who the hell is wants to look at that stuff? It's class work and often are not CD-level. 

Apr 25, 16 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

If you don't have any digitized drawings, can we see some examples of built work?  Even a street address would work, we can look at the street view on google...

Apr 25, 16 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

why even acknowledged he is here? Engaging Balkins only makes this board worse.

Shuellmi, congratulations.

Mings, why come in on the weekends for a senior housing project? Or waste time at all? They'll all be dead soon. Build a warehouse building, subdivide it into rooms and shoot em up with strong sedatives, they won't even know the difference.

Apr 25, 16 2:15 pm  · 
 · 

Dangermouse,

Most of my projects involves interior design, additions, and such. Some of them, you don't have a street view in the immediate area of the property or otherwise in a position where you can view it. 

129 W. Bond for example is one project. It's mostly interior but there is some exterior work done. Mostly enclosing the window bays.

Some of the others are interior oriented work. There is a project in the works right now that is new construction oriented design. Too early in the phase at the moment.

Apr 25, 16 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

archanonymous, that is the most sensitive and caring thing i've heard all day.  it's like the republican version of obamacare.  it's not always an architecture problem; sometimes it's a death panel problem.

Apr 25, 16 2:39 pm  · 
 · 

curtkram and anonymous just knocked it out of the park. We should just build large warehouses where everyone gets hooked up to the Inception machines forever. 

Apr 25, 16 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

129 W Bond Street - the infamous Community Theater project where we manipulated the building height and area of work dimensions so as to claim it is exempt and where you designed ADA bathrooms.

So let me get this straight; YOU are responsible for those awful vinyl double hungs in the front façade?

Apr 25, 16 3:48 pm  · 
 · 

That was a builder/client deviation. I specified wood sash/framed windows. They went vinyl to lower cost. I never call for vinyl windows. 

Apr 25, 16 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

Doesn't matter wood/vinyl - It's still a turd.

Apr 25, 16 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

So let me get this straight; YOU are responsible for those awful double hungs in the front façade?

Apr 25, 16 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
Funny how Balkins one masterpiece can't even be seen on google street view...beyond ridiculous how slippery this balkerino is.
Apr 25, 16 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

looks like any typical strip club you'd find by the buffalo airport.

Apr 25, 16 5:12 pm  · 
 · 

JeromeS, 

What do you think I was starting with? It's a theater, they didn't want a lot of windows. N.S., a strip club also doesn't want a lot of windows, either for a different reason. For live performance theater, it's about controlled lighting conditions. You don't control sunlight and the sun going across the sky. Therefore, you control your lighting conditions by blocking out light into the space.

I have photos of it as a laundromat. Before that, it was some electronics store. Before that, it was a plumbing shop.

Apr 25, 16 5:24 pm  · 
 · 

Well you could have went with a simple storefront to make it more inviting, and not look like an adult bookstore. Or use vinyl single hungs, or single hungs for that matter. And I certainly hope you aren't walking directly into the performance space.

Apr 25, 16 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I'm really impressed at Rick's ability to zero in on the tiny facet of the argument that is least pertinent to the overall point, and then counter only that bit, at great length.

Maybe you should give tort law a try?

Apr 25, 16 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I don't think that ripping this building to shreds is productive. It's complete, and advice wasn't asked for and will likely be a waste of time.

Apr 25, 16 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
So your one built project isn't photographed by you in your portfolio? Your only documentation of it is as a laundromat? Beyond help...
Apr 25, 16 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

When has this thread ever been for productivity?

Apr 25, 16 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Thread Central:

Apr 25, 16 5:57 pm  · 
 · 

On a brighter note - permit set finished! Seniors are going to love living in this building. 

Apr 25, 16 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Josh, the real challenge is to make them love dying so we can recycle them into food faster.

Apr 25, 16 6:30 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

olaf highly recommends tintt.

Apr 25, 16 6:41 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

olaf, are you recommending we turn tintt into food, as a response to arch's comment above yours?

Apr 25, 16 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Would tintt taste like mintt?

Apr 25, 16 6:53 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

no to her previous email to beta post...but thats a funny intepretation nonetheless

Apr 25, 16 7:10 pm  · 
 · 

That *is* a funny interpretation!

Spent the day reviewing 2nd year studio projects at BSU for the Indiana Hardwood Association Competition. It's fun to award prizes, but it makes me feel badly for everyone who doesn't win. I'm a softie.

Apr 25, 16 9:01 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
At the risk of humbling myself profoundly, I ask this question, primarily because I don't have experience with this material as an interior finish.

Using OSB as finish material on the face of a counter, what would be your preferred method of attachment? Keeping in mind I'd rather not see the fastener. I'm thinking it's pretty easy to conceal because of material, but I'm not millworker...Also, sanding the face and using a clearcoat finish.
Apr 25, 16 9:09 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

z-clips on the back. you ain't sanding OSB and clearcoating it...but at a very high end showroom for Italian fixtures they did a heavy coat of paint on panels that appeared to have countersunk screws (if you looked closely).

Apr 25, 16 9:20 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

If its to be a counter, why not a laminate it to a substrate the way you would P-Lam. Then youll have something you can screw to from underneath.

As to finish: a resin epoxy that will float out the surface irregularities and yield a flat surface 

Apr 25, 16 9:20 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

I clear coated OSB but it was as a column surround. Came out great in that application. No sanding.

Apr 25, 16 9:22 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

jeromeS, thats fine and i am sure you are aware my point was "sanding and clearcoating"....sure you can, but i am not recommending it.

Apr 25, 16 9:25 pm  · 
 · 

I wonder what the aesthetic appeal of OSB might be?

Examples?

Apr 25, 16 9:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: