Archinect
anchor

Calatrava's highrise residential in New York !!

6nuew

^true dat.

as a new kind of skyscraper it IS refreshing.. but i still dont like it.

Jan 31, 06 10:18 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

hmm..it looks quite scary to live in and also looks very communistic.

doesnt it remind you of a ferris wheel ,a giant wheel straightened out ?.

Jan 31, 06 10:25 am  · 
 · 
ochona

i'm nae scottish althoo i hae read burrns a loot an i hae watched monarch o the glen an i hae a loot of belle an sebastian cds

funny, purblind is also a southern word -- my north carolina relatives use it a lot -- wait, western north carolina was settled by...oh, the "scotch-irish" (sorry, that's just the term they use here in the southern US, i know "scotch" isn't the preferred nomenclature anymore...asian-american, please)

it all makes sense now!

anyhoo -- the purchase price is not all i have to talk about on this one. public comfort with architecture relies on it looking plausible from a structural standpoint, and these five-story-buildings supported by what looks like a single vertical-cantilever triangular truss just don't look plausible. and the sheer force of the wind blowing through this thing will create some awful experiences on thise balconies. although you have to admit, it reduces the wind load on the building. plus, the one thing i've always admired about calatrava -- the thing i think he has brought to our profession -- is an intimate intertwining of structural performance and structural form in nonlinear paths of force. this is just a bunch of boxes in the air.

of course i had to watch the videos on the website for five minutes in order to get a true idea of the thing.

my last contribution to this debate (except for the term "ever-lovin") is:

http://www.downtownexpress.com/de_131/calatravatowerconstruction.html

Jan 31, 06 10:25 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

cut this across the circumference , hold the two ends and pull till perfectly straight.

Jan 31, 06 10:31 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

Lol ... never thought of it that way !!!

Jan 31, 06 11:43 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: