Archinect
anchor

Rhino vs. Maya -- which one? or WHY both?

nappy

thanks!

What can rhino do that Maya can't and vice versa? I'm strictly only talking about modeling (not rendering, materials etc).

THX

Jan 14, 06 4:57 pm
DoYouWantCoffee

No, Maya can do some next-level modeling. But don't put in the time to learn parenting/heirarchies/etc. unless you have an application for the tool in mind. You could waste years.

Jan 14, 06 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
nappy

Hey DoYouWantCoffe,

"next-level modeling."

Can u expand on what this means? Thanks for ur time. For instance, some have said that if you can model a 747 accurately, u can model anything basically. And U can do an accurate 747 in both Rhino and Maya. Going from this...how does Maya outdo Rhino?

Jan 14, 06 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Well, if you want to model a 747, get Rhino. I believe what DYWC is refering to with "next-level modeling" is the type of control Maya gives you over the Nurbs. They both use Nurbs, but their control of these surfaces is quite different.

If your interests lie in parametric surfaces, that is surfaces which can be controlled numerically and remotely then Maya is the way to go. You can go through iterations and iterations of the same surface in Maya using history, parenting, all of that hierarchical stuff. For example, imagine lofting a surface from curves. In Maya you can "set aside" those curves and using history you can manipulate the surface(s) by maniplating the curves remotely. Think Greg Lynn and NOX and the like.

Now if your interests lie in controlled surfaces, that is you already know the form, like a 747, then Rhino is much better for this. If you need to make a complex Nurbs surface, but you aren't interested in manipulating the form - or rather you feel "manipulating" is best done through rebuilding and re-working surfaces, Rhino is the best modeler for that. It is quick and accurate. Think Neil Denari and product designers.

If you have both programs you are all set for creating surfaces in Maya and using them to model with greater detail in Rhino - I have done this in school. I would only recommend this if you find yourself in the Blob category and need a high level of detail. I would never recommend to anyone that they try to approximate a 747 with Maya's surfaces. Just the same, I would never recommend that anyone feign iterative form-making in Rhino - but don't get me wrong - they can do each others' jobs (Blobs are possible in Rhino) - just not well.

Jan 14, 06 6:24 pm  · 
 · 
nappy

thanks for the comprehensive breakdown garpike.

Now, if I may ask, what's the best way to learn Maya? OR how did you pick it up?

Jan 14, 06 8:08 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

download it for free here

get it quick before Autodesk takes the personal learning licesce away!

Jan 14, 06 10:59 pm  · 
 · 
Luis Fraguada

visual quickstart guide got me going on maya, the rest I learned by doing an independent study in undergrad . . . basically had a project I needed to do with the software, so I learned how.

The learning curve is weird, but the program has many advantages. Some disadvantages people have noted is accuracy, especially when it comes to machining. Rhino has advantages here. If there is a model you want to have in stl (or stl'ed), I would recommend Rhino for the final output.

Basically it is sort of a right tool for the job kind of thing.

Jan 15, 06 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Don't be afraid to mess things up in Maya. Of course the tutorials show you lots of stuff, but making mistakes can show more.

Jan 15, 06 7:26 pm  · 
 · 
jlxarchitect

Is Alias the old Maya?

May 4, 06 11:18 am  · 
 · 
noci

be aware tho that maya is not fully geared towards numerical input & working with scale. rhino is more like CAD.... i like to think of it as a crossover between Autocad and Maya, combining a lot of their respective features but not going quite as "far" as they do individually.

some of rhino's features are indispensible, such as projecting geometry to make a 2d polyline drawing, or interactive sections, dimensioning... maya has none of that (or merely in rudimentary form). but as garpike said, you get unlimited history & dependency control, which is great to have,

May 4, 06 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
bothands

solid thinking -- the best of both? i.e. the ease/accuracy of rhino and the parametrics/history of maya...

May 6, 06 4:18 am  · 
 · 
Mrxx

what rendering programme do you use??
thans for your recommand..

Feb 16, 09 6:50 am  · 
 · 
aspect

the purpose of autodesk to bought up maya is to let it fade away from the market... sad but true...

Feb 16, 09 8:31 am  · 
 · 
PodZilla

aspect- I've been hearing the same rumors about Rhino as well... lets hope autodesk keeps their mitts off it, at least until the next version comes out...

Feb 16, 09 9:13 am  · 
 · 
aspect

what have autodesk been doing for the past years while we architects fed them so well?

ans- nothing...

autodesk and 3dmax are worst program which has 0 improvement/development for the past years.

after autodesk bought up Maya, many of the animators stop using Maya, because nothing has been update to suit the market.

Feb 16, 09 9:43 am  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

the only reason to even use maya as i see it is because a autodesk rep talked you into it. I know it well and would not even consider it, it is for an entirely different market, that is being faded/neglected as said above especially with the XSI purchase

see the UDT (uniform deformation tool) stuff

the accuracy of cad, compatibility in documentation, with the nurbs power of alias/maya but more simple and powerful, and the near pagelayout abilities of indesign/illustrator (rich text can't come soon enough!) also don't forget the Bongo to animate your designs

Feb 16, 09 10:45 am  · 
 · 
Pacific

neither.
use 3dsmax!

Feb 16, 09 10:55 am  · 
 · 
aspect

i thought record history in rhino can help u to do some procedural modelling...

Feb 16, 09 11:02 am  · 
 · 
MADianito

ok so this is, in my opinion, as asking before:
graphite?, ink?, or watercolor??

as i always comment to my students and in workshops, Rhino, Maya, Max, SolidWorks, GC, CATIA, etc. they are only TOOLS.

"WHAT CAN MAYA/RHINO DO"?? that depends on what can u do with them, or even better wat can u do with each of them?, how can u combine them?, and what can u do by combining the TOOLS that you know how to use?

is a bit narrow minded to try to choose only one, i understand u (almost)cannot learn both at the same time, but dont think MAYA, RHINO or other software is a MAGIC WAND which will have all the solutions for everything....

the more u know the better u can be, dont get yourself locked in a box

Feb 16, 09 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

rhino + t-splines = maya. maya is dead.

Feb 16, 09 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

MAD does your school have a contract with autodesk or something?

Feb 16, 09 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
fays.panda

you learn one, you learn them all, its a frustrating process at first, but sooner rather than later, you'll realize which one of them does which job better, but, you kind of have to try at first,,

Feb 16, 09 2:11 pm  · 
 · 

NURBS v Polygons. That's the key difference.

Feb 16, 09 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

ANTI... mmhh nope, i dont even have a school...or employed by one... or anything related to academia, i used to teach in my last semester of school, and also when i reffer to "my students" is from a couple of workshops i have given...

actually i kind of hate AUTODESK, i think AutoCAD is one of the most stupidest software available.... i dont even use a PC which is the main AUTODESK target market

Feb 16, 09 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

if you need to use maya, you already know why. otherwise, you probably don't need to use it.

Feb 16, 09 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
eCoDe

MArch n' unemployed @ 10:30: "rhino + t-splines = maya. maya is dead."

I know you don't want to invest your time to learn Maya so you declare it "dead". For me I love both of them, plus 3D max perhaps. Maya is way powerful than Rhino + T-splines, though they are lovely modeling softwares. But design is not simply modeling. For example, think about fluid, hair, UV in maya and how you leverage them into modeling and animating. Rhino is an expert dealing with geometries; Maya is more than geometries - it has the ambition to create the whole world.

The sad thing is Autodesk merged so many talented teams and blurred these software's characters - making Maya more and more like 3Dmax and making 3D max more and more like Revit. Several years ago you have dogs and cats, but now you are feeling like you only have the pet called dog-cat, or doc-gat, something like that. I really miss the diversity.

Above all, they are clampers and screwdrivers in your garage. To learn how to use them is the first step; to learn how to use them fixing your car is why you have them.

Feb 16, 09 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

eCoDe: kind of funny, but back in 2006 garpike said:

"If your interests lie in parametric surfaces, that is surfaces which can be controlled numerically and remotely then Maya is the way to go."

well with grasshopper making this about 1000000000000x easier there really is no real reason to use maya. im not saying it isn't powerful and im not saying it doesn't have its place, but imo with t-splines and grasshopper you can do pretty much everything you can do in maya, only it's less complicated, much faster and much more intuitive. architecturally speaking maya just isn't that friendly.

Feb 16, 09 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

and maya hair is definitely the shit, but im not going to waste my time in that program just to get some sick grass in my rendering

Feb 16, 09 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
eCoDe

No one would force you to learn it.

And you can continue to say hair equals grass.

Feb 16, 09 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

i already know it and still wouldn't use it. just my opinion. you can continue to use it if you want.

Feb 16, 09 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
eCoDe

Well, someone looks pretty nervous about what he does not know... and the smart strategy is shit whatever you don't know. God bless you gain more confidence from shitting rather than learning.

Attitude matters.

Feb 16, 09 7:49 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

like i said, keep using maya, you clearly love it. but don't come on here questioning my attitude just because i don't. it's called an opinion. and if i remember correctly you came here to refute a statement i made, if you really thought maya was the answer you wouldn't be wasting your time trying to convince me otherwise.

but i'll tell you what makes me nervous - finding employment not whether i know as much as some twerp about a program that has limited architectural applications. my opinion, can you handle it?

Feb 16, 09 8:03 pm  · 
 · 
eCoDe

Well, clearly your opinion comes from your attitude. Or you would not say "maya is dead". Ask yourself where this comes from dude. I like maya, clearly, and i like rhino too. I am not trying to convince you - I just don't like you shit something irresponsibly.

Best wishes for your employment.

Sincerely,

ecode

Feb 16, 09 8:23 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

it was a quick and flippant comment on my way out the door. but ultimately i was making a comment on an inanimate piece of software, while you are attacking me. yet somehow im the one with the attitude problem...

Feb 16, 09 8:35 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

anything that associates with autodesk is done... period! Maya has no future.

disclaimer- i used to use Maya 4-5 years ago.

If u want dynamics such as hair, fluid, particles, use houdini, that's what all blockbuster movie makers are using.

Feb 16, 09 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
zoezuniga

kind of an apple vs orange discussion right? you would learn, blender /maya/ 3dsmax/ cinema4d, which ever one you like better or all of the above to do models for animation or modeling characters, creative stuff. flowing lines, organic clay modeling with nurbs and or polygons etc while you learn rhino/autodesk inventor/solidworks/Creo to make exact parts for tooling or 3d printing of civil engineering, exact machine parts that must  be fit together, there is some back and forth if you know both types of programs you can start in one and then drop into another to finish for printing if you are not rigging or animating?

Correct me if I am wrong

Dec 29, 16 11:31 am  · 
 · 
archietechie

^ Any specific reason for necroposting?

Dec 29, 16 11:50 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: