Archinect
anchor

Is Parametricism really the new unified style!!!

jimi!!

Hello,

I'm currently writing my thesis on the death of architecftual theory and the rise of digital technologies, i'll starting off looking at post modernism theories in the 70's to parmetricism of today and asking the question if patrik schumar correct, is parametricism the newunfield style of the future.. and would just like to get your thoughts on your perception on   parametricism?

Thanks

Dec 18, 11 7:24 am
archinet

no parametricism  it is not the new unified style of the future, most architects practicing and teaching don't take schumacher seriously. i think you need to dig way deeper then to just assault formalism that uses the computer. what exactly do you mean by "the rise of digital technologies?" maybe you want to define that more clearly? maybe you can look into the rise of statistical thinking and network theories being applied to architecture? and the recent tools used to support that into the practice of architecture? what are the implications of such tools? how are they changing architecture? is it a good thing to have complete faith in these tools believing they can solve everything?...also you can look into the various tools, parametric type tools, GIS, ecotect, etc....

Dec 18, 11 7:42 am  · 
 · 

parametric tools will be absorbed into the flow of how architects produce their work, not as a style but as a means of completing work. currently these tools are more prevalent in schools than in the offices of practitioners.

i expect whatever styles are currently identified as parametric will fade away - maybe already are fading away. in a market where most clients are more interested in a cheaper way to build a brick cavity wall, swoopy unified forms will remain a rarity. 

Dec 18, 11 8:45 am  · 
 · 
Narddog

Agreeing upon what has been said above,

Parametricism is not a STYLE, it is a workflow, a tool. I am tired of hearing people associating parametric architecture with the style of blobs, alien work, and zaha, although these are some consequences that come out of such tools/workflows. With that said, do I think it will have a big impact on the future? Definitely, I firmly believe we will strive to work smarter, more integrated, and more efficient.

Dec 18, 11 11:49 am  · 
 · 
citizen

I'll just use this opportunity to call for resurrecting that antiquated custom of punctuating a question with a question mark.

Peace out.

Dec 18, 11 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
Token AE

no!!!

It will be no more of a style than CAD was 20 years ago. It is a tool, nothing more. Design will still require critical thought- which can never be automated.

Dec 18, 11 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
Jordan Lloyd

Parametricism is a process, not a style.

Jan 1, 12 8:55 pm  · 
 · 

Parametricism Manifesto

Jan 2, 12 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
BOTS

Good one Miles

The Parametricism style claims relevance on all scales from architecture and interior design to large scale urban design. The larger the scale of the project the more pronounced is parametricism’s superior capacity to articulate programmatic complexity.

In simple terms it's technology’s latest Avant grade application to information - .
We are all information - I've seen the Matrix and the work going on at www.amandalevetearchitects.com/

Just remember to remove your shoes before engaging.

Jan 12, 12 7:18 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: