Archinect
anchor

Why isn't the AIA lobbying the deficit reduction supercommittee?

phld21

It seems like they are one of the few trade organization not listed.  Here are some on the list:

American Academy Of Actuaries
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
Jackson County, Missouri
California Association Of Realtors
Associated Builders And Contractors Inc
Associated General Contractors Of America

Do you guys see lobbying the federal government as being a waste of time, or do you think the committee's actions could have an impact... so the AIA should potentially be involved in lobbying? Have you guys seen the AIA lobby for things in the past? If so, how did that turn out? 

Oct 28, 11 10:33 pm

the aia does lobby, but usually only for things about which there is a *very* clear consensus among their membership. i bet how to approach deficit reduction is not one of those issues. 

Oct 29, 11 12:13 pm  · 
 · 

i'm going to say they are helping the agc on this one - 

the funny one on that list is jackson co....

Oct 29, 11 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

The key to any successful lobbying effort is the ability of any 'special interest' group to donate money to the re-election campaigns of incumbent members of congress. The AIA is prohibited from using member dues dollars for that purpose -- all such political contributions must come from the AIA's PAC, which historically is woefully underfunded by the members. 

I have come to realize that many AIA members feel that participation in the political process that way is unsavory. Until these conditions change and members start providing more voluntary economic support to the PAC, the AIA's political clout will remain essentially zip.

Of course, none of this precludes individual AIA members (and non-Members, for that matter) from writing their own representative in Congress about these matters.

Oh ... and before anybody starts complaining about those cheap bastards who make up the AIA, the AIA's PAC ALSO will accept donations from non-members. The AIA's primary political objectives are aimed at helping the whole industry -- not just the members.

Oct 29, 11 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

My understanding of this supercommittee is that they are looking at budget cuts in everything, and lobby groups are coming in and saying "Yeah! Cut everything except except our special interest funding". 

Not sure what AIA could have with this. Any government funded projects that might have benefited architectural community were already cut decades ago. Maybe AIA PAC can lobby for a time machine.

Oct 29, 11 6:34 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: