Archinect
anchor

Ever Awakened In The Morning With A Hangover and $1M in Architectural Design Contracts?

timothysadler®

This is funny.  But also a good example to discuss with my ProPrac students!

"Again, this was after two or three hours of us drinking, not exactly the best time to do business, not exactly the best time to read over legal documents, which [Synthesis+ executive Daniel Soltero] did not portray at any time to be legal documents,"

What does anyone ever sign that is NOT a legal document?!  Did the Mayor think these guys wanted his autograph?!

I like the analysis in the comments: Synthesis (we have one of those in Naptown, too) did do work and by accepting the work the City acknowledged the contract.  Or did Synthesis knowingly work without a proper contract hoping that they would get paid anyway?  Interesting.

Aug 4, 11 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
elinor

i was wondering how to spend the rest of my afternoon...off to compose emails inviting all the country's mayors out for drinks!!

one million doesn't sound like much...what did he agree to--bathroom renovations of the municipal office building? 

...oh, i guess that was just the design fee?

Aug 4, 11 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
timothysadler®

It just goes to show ya;  Make sure you have $1M in contracts with you at all times.  When you run into city officials out there in the bars it pays to be ready!

Aug 4, 11 4:34 pm  · 
 · 

Funny. Synthesis+ is a largely vacant website and the architect, Dan Soltero, now appers to be a PM at another firm. 

Aug 4, 11 6:14 pm  · 
 · 

OMG the house music with the website.  Bad.

Aug 4, 11 10:44 pm  · 
 · 
Ryan002

And they say there are no honest politicians. I got to admire the size of this guy's balls, just coming out and saying it. I would have expected a half dozen lame excuses at the very least. 

Aug 4, 11 11:25 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

"one million doesn't sound like much...what did he agree to--bathroom renovations of the municipal office building? "

obviously, you've never practiced in new mexico. rfp's for construction of that amount would bring out 20 firms...

Aug 5, 11 10:49 am  · 
 · 
jeiffert

Seems like a pretty stout architectural fee for a town of 14,000.  What would a town of that size be building?  I saw no details wrt the project, or projects.

Aug 8, 11 4:32 pm  · 
 · 

That was the fee for the local library renovation and addition in my small town (pop. about 3,000, $6m budget).

Never mind that the new "green" building has less shelf space and an electrical bill that went up $3,000 per month.

Name-brand architect, too.

Aug 8, 11 7:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: