Archinect
anchor

What habits do successful architects have?

emilsark

I've been really interested in this question ever since getting into architecture. I've always wondered how big architects act interms of designing and coming up with concepts and ideas behind closed doors. Im not talking about corporate architectural firms with decentralized forms of design, I'm talking about the lonesome architect or architects, and how they form ideas, precedents, and successful designs.

Thank you!

Mar 29, 24 8:22 pm
graphemic

*in terms

What you're describing is a bit of a fantasy... any architect that you've heard of didn't get there by working alone. 

I promise you, the real world is much more interesting and rewarding, if a bit more scary. 

Mar 29, 24 8:31 pm  · 
3  · 
Le Courvoisier

Drinking

Mar 29, 24 9:22 pm  · 
7  · 
proto

username checks out

Mar 30, 24 12:26 pm  · 
6  · 
archanonymous

Drinking, overeating, not working out, some sort of lame status hobby that doesn't take much time like coffee or cars.

Apr 1, 24 5:15 pm  · 
3  · 
ill_will

or doing soft drugs (weed, shrooms, adderall)

Apr 2, 24 1:08 pm  · 
2  · 
proto

Getting the work is the hard part

(tho doing good work ain’t easy either…)

Mar 30, 24 12:27 pm  · 
1  · 
JLC-1

being born into a rich family.

Mar 30, 24 2:14 pm  · 
6  · 
sameolddoctor

...or MARRYING RICH. Its amazing how much good work one can do when not encumbered with paying rent/mortgage.

Apr 1, 24 8:15 pm  · 
4  · 
bowling_ball

I'm currently in the UK and have spent some time the past few weeks with students, recent grads, and a whole bunch of designers with less than 10 years experience. Several have admitted that they married rich. I dare say, the majority actually. The friend we're staying with is having all her bills covered by her doctor parents. Coming from relative poverty, this has crushed my soul a little bit, but also made me proud for achieving what I have, even with the loads of fortune I've had along the way (like being a white male). Ugh.

Apr 2, 24 7:03 am  · 
4  · 
JLC-1

all that goes to question the concept of "success" - I feel quite successful as an architect, my work that has been built doesn't have any issues with leaking, peeling, cracking or sinking, albeit I have not amassed any fortune nor am I known or famous. What's success? having your name printed in a magazine?

Apr 2, 24 11:08 am  · 
2  · 

I've won design awards, had my work in magazines. It doesn't matter. It doesn't make you 'successful' or a 'good' architect.  Neither dose having other architects praise your work. 

It's all how happy you are with yourself.  

Apr 2, 24 11:42 am  · 
7  · 
bowling_ball

What's nice is that we can all decide on those metrics for ourselves. It really is up to the individual. I know plenty of architects who are happy to go home at 5 o'clock, myself included.

Apr 2, 24 5:56 pm  · 
4  · 
paulscreationids

Consider shadowing or apprenticing with a solo architect to gain firsthand insight into their creative process and design methodology. Additionally, seek out mentorship opportunities or attend workshops and conferences where architects share their experiences and discuss their approach to conceptualizing and executing successful designs.

Apr 1, 24 9:16 am  · 
 · 

emilsark, are you in architecture school? Because the design process is something you should be learning from your studio teachers. Not that there's only one way to do it, but there are various approaches that can be sued to get some sparks going, and if you try some and reject some and expand on some others you'll eventually - over a typically long time - get to a process that works for you.

Steven Holl famously does some watercolor painting-sketches every day. 

Apr 1, 24 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

"sued" .... hope that is a Freudian slip, and not something weighing on you, Donna!

Apr 1, 24 8:16 pm  · 
 · 
EMHS

H ello Donna, Yes I am. I feel like this semester for some reason Ive been overcomplicating my designs and straying from concept. I want to ground my self. Thats why im trying to research about architects and their processes from start to finish, like the igniting moment when an architect knows the guiding principle in the design. Im particularly interested in Herzog and de Meuron, and have started guzzling as much info about them as possible. I guess I kinda want to find a religion to guide my design.

Apr 2, 24 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
bennyc

They bill appropriately and value their services

Apr 2, 24 8:10 am  · 
 · 
ill_will

Be ambitious and try to put yourself in design related situations a bit outside your comfort zone and when that isn't an option focus on something to try to improve on. Consistent change is key, in my opinion.

Apr 2, 24 1:12 pm  · 
1  · 
JLC-1

wasting a lot of time on Archinect is a good habit

Apr 2, 24 3:22 pm  · 
1  · 
midlander

walking around looking at buildings. this isn't a flippant answer - all the best architects i know absolutely love exploring cities and looking at buildings. it's simultaneously the best way to understand the meaning of architecture, to learn how buildings work, to study architectural history, and a good way to relax while getting light exercise.

if you feel stuck, get out and explore what interests you.

Apr 3, 24 9:56 am  · 
2  · 
zonker

That's what I do, lots of wandering around San Francisco and getting exercise from going up and down steep hills. lots of observing, sketching, then applying that at the office. Its a 49 square mile open studio.

Apr 6, 24 11:33 pm  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

I'm an unlicensed residential designer but I have designed some cool projects and I'm friends with some of my favorite residential architects. I'd say we follow a similar process: determine all of the constraints, then solve the puzzle in the most efficient manner.

I tend to use more logic in my design process compared to my more-talented friends who I think design more from the gut and end up with works of art. Either way, first understanding the constraints focuses you on what is needed. Keeping the design as simple as you can, or editing until it is simple, gets rid of obfuscating ornament and lets the spirit of the design show. 

Apr 3, 24 10:09 am  · 
2  · 
whistler

I have never hung out with other architects!  haha. Ever since I graduated my friend group were more upwardly mobile than myself, many became clients and introduced me to others who became connected to projects. Be strategic about project selection and don't be afraid to say no to projects.  Get to know decent builders who are reliable, capable and trustworthy ( they always have projects and will require skilled architects to assist them ). Become really good at certain project types ( don't have to specialize, but if it's a niche that you can gain some good market share that will drive projects to you ) As you become busier you can branch out to other project types but do so knowing you have a solid base of consistent work to build off.

Apr 3, 24 12:52 pm  · 
1  · 
Almosthip

Good posture.  Save your back and work on your own ergonomics daily.

Apr 8, 24 3:49 pm  · 
1  · 

Be able to design/build YOUR OWN building, and not just for someone else. You have the live with the design mistakes, etc. You have to live with the building failure because you placed beauty over functionality.

I swear most architecture wouldn't be how it is, if the architects who designed these modern buildings were forced to travel to one particular airport thousands of times. Or forced to actually maintain them.

Apr 14, 24 11:32 pm  · 
1  ·  1
bowling_ball

Until we can afford to fund our own projects, sure. That's easy to say and totally divorced from the reality of business.

Apr 15, 24 12:00 am  · 
1  · 
midlander

i used to work for the architect who designed one terminal of our local [major city] airport. he loved his terminal and flew no airline that didnt depart from that building. he never acknowledged any of the flaws and occasionally wrote haranguing letters to the airline management alerting them to shortcomings in their maintenance and operations that impacted the look of the building.

Apr 15, 24 10:15 am  · 
 · 
midlander

having worked on airport designs myself - most of the obvious problems were obvious to the architects too, and were implemented over our strenuous objection. in the real world, most clients care about their buildings less than the architects do - for them it's just a project and an expensive part of their business.

Apr 15, 24 10:18 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: