Archinect
anchor

Real Architects...

natematt

I was sorting though some clothes recently and dug up this relic from my first year of grad school 10+ years ago. There was an engineering job fair that I happened to walk though and one of the booths was giving this away. I might have been a little steamed about it at the time, but now it's just funny and I felt compelled to share. 

Jan 2, 24 3:55 pm
Wood Guy

Just this morning I had to ask a friend I did some design work for to remove "architectural design consultant" from my title on his cover sheet, since as an unlicensed designer I'm not allowed to use any derivative of the word "architect." He is a mechanical and electrical engineer and a former computer programmer; he thinks the rule is stupid, but he complied. Funny how engineers don't get all worked up about others using the word "engineer." 

Jan 2, 24 4:52 pm  · 
6  · 

Actually, some engineers do. But it is starkly less common per capita than we have seen with architects. Then again, they had to get used to the idea that there were limitations on the engineer title from day 1. Back then, there were titles for those who operated a train... engineer was used then to operate the engine of the train....hence ENGINEER. Just an example that was very much present and used in the days when these laws were being adopted.

Jan 2, 24 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

it's hard to pass yourself off as a qualified engineer if you haven't actually studied and practiced at it. whereas architects have only a title and 18 credit hours of annual continuing education to distinguish themselves from people who just design buildings.

Jan 3, 24 6:37 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

And an NAAB accredited degree, and a state license after having passed the ARE....?

Jan 3, 24 7:54 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Engineer does not have the same superficial sex appeal as architect so there are far fewer idiots desperate enough to "borrow" the title. Oddly enough, the only eng group I've seen care about calling themselves engineers are students. Few bother once they get over that silly ring trinket ceremony.

Jan 3, 24 8:20 am  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Are you mocking my cape, beret, and cane?

Jan 3, 24 9:12 am  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

I often wore a felt cloche style woman's hat covered with Victorian-era house plans/elevations while in grad school. Your peasant accessories have nothing on me.

Jan 3, 24 9:22 am  · 
2  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I'm much too modest for such fancies

Jan 3, 24 9:43 am  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

Why did I immediately think, "Real American Heroes" when I saw this title?

Jan 2, 24 6:48 pm  · 
3  · 
gwharton

Believe it or not, I'm drawing on air.

Jan 2, 24 7:35 pm  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

GI Jooooeeeeees!

Jan 3, 24 8:21 am  · 
 · 
citizen

gw, it took me a while, but I finally got it. I wish I could deny having the same exact perm during that period. But I cannot.

Jan 4, 24 8:04 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: