Archinect
anchor

Screwing to a fire rated roof/ceiling assembly

Hiker26
I need to design a partition wall in an existing type 1a building with a fire rated roof. The partitions need to be braced to the underside of the metal decking of the ceiling/roof assembly. Is it ok to penetrate the existing assembly with screws?

What about bracing to a fireproofed beam?

Thank you

Dec 21, 23 10:06 am

What dose the UL listing for the existing assembly say is allowed?  

I'd probably ask your AHJ what they think will be allowed.  You'll need that in writing when your special inspection is done.  

Dec 21, 23 10:19 am  · 
 · 
Hiker26
Well it’s existing. I suppose I should find a similar ul. I can’t really tell what the assembly is besides being able to see the underside of deck
Dec 21, 23 10:31 am  · 
 · 
  1. Find an assembly you think is similar to the existing floor. 
  2. Meet with the AHJ. 
  3. Explain your reasoning for why you can attach screws to the existing assembly. 
  4. See if they agree
Dec 21, 23 10:44 am  · 
1  · 
Hiker26
Thank you
Dec 21, 23 10:48 am  · 
 · 

You bet! Good luck with this. I know it's a pain to deal with.

Dec 21, 23 11:23 am  · 
 · 
Bench

These are the reasons why i still like going to archinect. Genuinely interesting but very non-sexy question. Thx! (Also more of this type of stuff)

Dec 21, 23 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

Page 64 shows screw size and spacing for the rated assemblies, but it's for the face screws; I don't think there's a rule when you are attaching a partition if said partition will also be rated. 

https://www.usg.com/content/da...

Dec 21, 23 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
proto

agreed...the tested assembly involves the required fastening. So, unless you're violating the assembly by removing required fasteners (or other materials), you should be good adding fasteners to that structure

Dec 21, 23 2:46 pm  · 
1  · 
proto

I don't think additional fasteners violate the fire rating of the existing protected roof, unless they are wood pegs (or other weird thing) or somehow create voids/interruptions in the rated roof assembly

Dec 21, 23 2:36 pm  · 
2  · 

Typically that is correct. It all depends on the rated assembly and the number / size of the fasteners though. I know of several 2 hour assemblies that have requirements for penetrations of any type (including fasteners) that need to be sealed with fire caulk.

Dec 21, 23 3:05 pm  · 
1  · 
Hiker26
This wouldn’t be a rated partition..
Dec 21, 23 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

We always include typical details for these situations.  Usually for a non-rated assembly head detail at a rated assembly, we specify a slotted  top track without issue about fastener spacing.  It's not like it's adding new loads from underneath that could reduce the performance of the steel deck.  Head details at rated gypsum membrane ceilings are another thing and far more complicated.

Dec 21, 23 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
Hiker26
It’s not that it’s adding a load from beneath, just the fact that you are penetrating the membrane of the assembly…
Dec 21, 23 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

are there other devices screwed to u/s of existing deck such as lights and carrying channels? How are those fasteners treated?

Dec 21, 23 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

what membrane?

Dec 21, 23 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip

The fire protection membrane

Dec 21, 23 4:32 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

JLC, not sure how it’s down south, but membrane is what we refer to when detailing fire separations made of gypsum sheets. At least that’s how my code calls them.

Dec 22, 23 7:54 am  · 
2  · 
JLC-1

this is what membrane means "down south" - https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/membrane

Dec 22, 23 11:37 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

and this is how the 2021 IFC confuse the terms and doesn't really define what a membrane is

Dec 22, 23 11:40 am  · 
 · 
Hiker26
It’s not that it’s adding a load from beneath, just the fact that you are penetrating the membrane of the assembly…
Dec 21, 23 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
Hiker26
Yes there are other things screwed in, I didn’t notice any fire caulk
Dec 21, 23 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

"fire caulk" is primarily for smoke sealing. Side note, seach the forum for the classic "show me your caulk" discussion.

Dec 21, 23 3:30 pm  · 
2  · 

Fire caulking is only required on rare occurrences for certain types of assemblies. Hence why you need to find an assembly similar to the existing ceiling. Realistically you won't need to worry about the fasteners penetrating the membrane of the rated assembly.

Dec 21, 23 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
Hiker26
It’s a typical steal frame metal deck system. I’m thinking ul902
Dec 21, 23 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
proto

my guess is the steel deck itself is not adding much value to the fireproofiness of your existing condition, whether what's above it is exterior gyp or concrete. So, if you penetrate low flutes, you aren't penetrating a "membrane"...[purely speculative from this side of the internet...ymmv ]

Dec 21, 23 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
proto

this one? yeah, fire away!

Dec 22, 23 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

A couple of things. Look at the existing building codes. Second, you can scrape of fire proofing, as long as they patch it back, I'm presuming it's cementitious. Firestopping.

Dec 21, 23 7:04 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: