Archinect
anchor

Revit Question

I know, a Revit question.  How mundane.  

Using 2024 and came across this for the first time.  We have a consultant model linked in and their line weight thicknesses are different than ours.  For example:  #1 is say 0.1 in our models but in the consultants it's 0.2.  When we use visibility graphics to change the linked files lines they're still off because their lines thickness is different.  

Any idea how to get the consultants model to use the same line weight thicknesses as ours? 

Oct 19, 23 10:26 am
Non Sequitur

Strange... I was looking to do the very same thing last night... although I was looking to turn it all hot pink because that's how I roll.  I was not able to find a quick solution so I tasked future Non-Sequitur with finding a solution.  That guy is flaky tho, so not sure he'll get to it.

Oct 19, 23 10:38 am  · 
1  · 

It's really frustrating because the structural models lines are all our cut line thicknesses. I know the 'hard' way to solve this is to go into the structural model and change their 'pen' settings but you have to that every time a new model is published, shared, and consumed. Uhg. Get future Non on this!

Oct 19, 23 11:12 am  · 
 · 

FYI - I looked at trying to fix this with filters like with MEP things - no luck. :(

Oct 19, 23 11:12 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Chad, I just tried a fresh section without prexisting graphic wizardry and I got 2 out 3 linked models to bend to my graphical wishes... but one stays in grey.

Oct 19, 23 11:39 am  · 
 · 

The color isn't the issue for me. It's the line wights. I know in MEP models I have to add a filter that will override the line weights and colors. Apparently changing them in the graphic override won't work for ducts and pipes.

Oct 19, 23 11:50 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I started using colours a few years ago and it's made a big difference in drawing legibility. It also looks better on screens when I need to explain things to clients & gcs via zoom meets.

Oct 19, 23 12:45 pm  · 
1  · 

For CD's I turn all linked models to a dark blue. The dark blue prints as black. For coordination models each discipline is a deferent color. All filled regions are light grey - always.

Oct 19, 23 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

very little makes me more happy than using a big red hatch (no mask) with heavy dashed outline and giant note saying "pay fucking attention to the shit I've draw in the big obvious area shaded red"

Oct 19, 23 2:29 pm  · 
1  · 
luvu

@Chad Why do you show linked models in construction set ? curios

Oct 19, 23 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^because linked models have important coordination items such as ducts, lights, columns, etc.

Oct 19, 23 6:38 pm  · 
1  · 

What Non said. All the consultants work is important to show in your drawings to some degree for various reasons. The lease of which is coordination.

For example,  this is building section that is in progress.  The blue items are linked models.  You can see areas of conflict and inaccuracies that can cause problems.  

Oct 19, 23 6:46 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Square grid bubbles? Wild.

Oct 19, 23 8:00 pm  · 
2  · 
luvu

@NS ,Chad … We redraw and incorporate pretty much everything from consultants models in our Revit . This is to do with accuracy and tolerance. Structure model is pretty straight fwd ( and we could use their model if we wanted to but when it comes down to other disciplines, we would be lucky to get even the quantity /scope correct
, let alone the precise accurate location.

Oct 19, 23 8:41 pm  · 
1  · 
luvu

This is coming form a large / complex project i e hospitals where there are lot a lot outlets , equipment in a
room.

Oct 19, 23 8:49 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Easier to control your consultants and make them draw correctly in the first place.

Oct 20, 23 7:34 am  · 
2  · 

We make our consultants model things correctly regales of the complexity of the project.

We do model in most things - floors, walls, roofs, ceilings, plumbing fixtures, ect.  We model a bit more in SD and early DD when we're doing more conceptual work - simple beams for example.  When the project gets farther along detailed things like ducts, conduit, beams we have our consultants model those.  

Oct 20, 23 9:57 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I just asked my electrical p.eng to make sure they draw their equipment at the correct heights. Oh, your note says it's a giant transformer hung from roof deck but all you did was draw a 3D prism on the floor? Sorry bud, I'm sending this model back and you get to draw that shit correctly.

Oct 20, 23 10:24 am  · 
2  · 

If we have to model in a consultants work because they won't then we bill them for the time we spent doing their work. To be fair we tell them this will happen if they don't do their job and it's rarely happened.

Oct 20, 23 10:30 am  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Funny, I'm doing something like that too... but as additional services billed to the client. I sorta cleared my friday so that I could spend it 100% on extra fees. M&E are notoriously difficult to work with in a BIM environment in my area.

Oct 20, 23 10:38 am  · 
1  · 

They can be in my area as well. One if the biggest things is that if we have a wall, ceiling, or soffit that MEP has attached something and the hosting item is deleted then the MEP item is orphaned. The MEP item still exists, is still in schedules but is floating off somewhere in space.

Oct 20, 23 11:00 am  · 
 · 
luvu

@Chad , the level of development LOD for BIM from each discipline aren’t always the same. If I was an AV engineer I wouldn’t sign a contract that says the location of speaker in each room has to match architectural dwg and the BIM should reflect this info.

Oct 20, 23 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
luvu

the point is , we are very cautious when it comes to showing models from consultants in our Construction set. This is to avoid the discrepancy/ conflict of information let alone the liabilities
you may have to take when you choose to put others parties works into your work.

Oct 20, 23 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

We tell the LOD we expect from the start. Way more chances of having mistakes when 2 different parties draw the same thing. Just get better consultants and set up your expectations early. Alternatively, we will model what we want and give them the files so they include it in their set... then we link their update model which contains our og link. works all the time.

Oct 20, 23 7:51 pm  · 
1  · 
Almosthip

I wish I could bill the consultants when they don't modal their crap, but alas they are in-house. We are full discipline. So I just complain and yell at them and they ignore me.

Oct 23, 23 3:46 pm  · 
 · 

Sounds like your firms management sucks.

Oct 23, 23 3:59 pm  · 
 · 

luvu wrote:

"the point is , we are very cautious when it comes to showing models from consultants in our Construction set. This is to avoid the discrepancy/ conflict of information let alone the liabilities you may have to take when you choose to put others parties works into your work." 

That's a bit odd. 

If your GC is looking at your drawings for how to build the consultants work then they're not doing it right. That or your consultants aren't doing their jobs. 

In addition it's not your issue if the GC looks at the arch drawings to build consultants work and it's wrong. Now if you don't coordinate your consultants work and it conflicts with your design - it's your issue.

Oct 23, 23 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip

Chad - Management is also the drafters, the engineers, and human resources. We are a small firm.

Oct 23, 23 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I can't even get our own staff to use the office's template... or even our standard annotation families... but I sure as shit can wrangle the consultants to model things correctly. Not sure how I find myself in this space.

Oct 23, 23 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
luvu

@Chad , everything in Arch Construction Set is coordinated (as much as possible) … we don’t overlay or inset 10 linked revit files in our drawings. That is my only point. You do you i suppose.

Oct 23, 23 8:43 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Luvu... remodelling other consultants' things into your own model is totally not a normal thing. We'd open ourselves to a shit-tonne of liabilities by doing so (most of which are not covered under our insurance policies)... plus the headache of coordinating 2 drawing sets with duplicate information. Much easier to work with your consultants and coordinate properly as a team.

Oct 23, 23 9:39 pm  · 
 · 
luvu

Last comments from me on this, we redraw what NEEDs to be shown architecturally If it’s not needed we don’t show . For coordination or sketch purpose / overlay the linked model is common and I would do it all the time.

Oct 23, 23 10:44 pm  · 
 · 
luvu

Last comment I promise, the word ‘incorporate ‘ should have been used instead of re-draw. Redraw sounds dumb/ my bad.

Oct 23, 23 11:20 pm  · 
 · 

That makes a lot more sense luvu. Your posts sounded like you remodeled all of your consultant stuff and didn't show any of the consultants models.

Oct 24, 23 10:30 am  · 
 · 
ivanmillya

I haven't really encountered this issue, but I think it's only because our only consultant that uses Revit is structural, and I don't fuss much about the lineweights they use on their drawings unless they're truly illegible.

Wish I had a solution for you, but I think it comes down to telling your consultant to copy your line weights. They should be able to go to Manage > Transfer Project Standards > check Line Weights.

Oct 19, 23 11:19 am  · 
 · 

I'm rather specific about line weights on our drawings. The way the linked model is set up everything in every view looks like it's being cut in our model. While not illegible it's difficult to read and looks HORRIBLE. I think the only way to solve this is to transferer project standards to the consultants model each time.

Oct 19, 23 11:33 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Same boat as Chad here. My graphic standards are very high and I will never send out anything unless it looks correct.

Oct 19, 23 11:40 am  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Why can't you do this with Dynamo? Run a script to change all the lineweights instead of manually changing them?

Oct 19, 23 12:33 pm  · 
 · 

To be fair 'manually' changing them is only a dozen clicks but it has to be done each time a new model is consumed. It's just that it's silly that Revit doesn't have a method to do this - aka the line weights are always grabbed from the linked model and not included in the graphic overrides.  

In this case because it's part of Revit's core programming so using Dynamo won't work.  

Trying to get Dynamo to do the transfer project standards would be very difficult.   You'd need to to go to BIM360, open a project, transfer project standards for the line weights, then save the project back to BIM360, then share, publish and consume the mode.  

Oct 19, 23 1:59 pm  · 
 · 

BB - if you can get this to work with Dynamo then you're more adapt than I. If you've done this then please share!

Oct 19, 23 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
axonapoplectic

Try this

Oct 19, 23 10:47 pm  · 
 · 

Thanks, I already know about that method. That's the transfer project standards option. The issue with that is every time you need to re-link or re-consume a model you have to do this process. It doesn't work like visibility graphics overrides and view templates. It's a weird programming issue with Revit

Oct 20, 23 9:56 am  · 
1  · 
axonapoplectic

revit is perfect. It has no weird programming issues. You just don’t know how to use the program. /S

Oct 20, 23 12:56 pm  · 
5  · 

Clearly. Now excuse me - I'm going to sacrifice a chicken to get my model to save to the cloud. ;)

Oct 20, 23 1:44 pm  · 
5  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: