Archinect
anchor

Anti-graffiti coating (for raw CMU)?

mestizo

Does anyone have any experience/recommendations for a graffiti blocking sealant for CMU walls?  

The walls of this house consist of raw, unpainted and uncoated standard CMUs.  I'd like to use something with the lowest sheen.  Something that looks as invisible as possible, allowing for the CMU to look like CMU.

I'm not wholly anti-graffiti.  I just don't want it to be permanent if I don't think the artistic level matches the house.

Oct 14, 23 5:21 pm
Non Sequitur

CMU as a designed finish?  Can't image a more depressing finish for a house.  I'd encourage the graffiti so that it adds life and colour to the grey gloom.

Oct 14, 23 5:23 pm  · 
archanonymous

It doesn't have to be depressing. A bit harder at a domestic scale but I'm convinced it's a totally legitimate finish.

Kahn's First Unitarian Church

Oct 14, 23 6:08 pm  · 
 · 

Non did you post that to fight with me, noted concrete lover?

Oct 14, 23 7:54 pm  · 
2  · 
bowling_ball

Boooooo!

Oct 14, 23 10:27 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

It's really not that expensive to upgrade the CMU color/finish relative to labor costs. Goes a long way if you don't like standard grey precision blocks.

Oct 16, 23 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

I've specc'd this before: https://cementaid.com/our-wall...

Oct 14, 23 6:10 pm  · 
1  · 

Likewise. It works pretty well.

Oct 14, 23 7:54 pm  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Who is going to graffiti a home?

Oct 14, 23 7:26 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

the children

Oct 14, 23 11:15 pm  · 
1  · 
atelier nobody

You clearly haven't lived in some of the neighborhoods I have...

Oct 16, 23 7:53 pm  · 
 · 

Protectosil Antigraffiti is my go to. Usually as a second application over a first application of one of their compatible water repellents. 

Oct 15, 23 1:00 pm  · 
1  · 

I also use the Protestosil product.

Oct 16, 23 10:49 am  · 
 · 
natematt

Sameish.... Our typical spec is for Siloxane (silicone) coatings, usually listing Protectosil and Sherwin-Williams as manufactures.

Oct 16, 23 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
Appleseed

Yep, have had good luck w/ Protectosil PB100 w/ Antigraffiti. Reasonably low-sheen.

Oct 16, 23 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
mestizo

Thank you for all the responses.

Lowest sheen possible is my goal.

The Protectosil looks promising.  Prosoco has some good reviews, too.  I'll give them a try. There is one long 'hidden' wall on this house that is 5 feet from the lot line.  It's basically a perfect test location for two or three products. (8'x8' patches between full height narrow windows.  Any slight variations would not be noticeable.)

If anyone wants to suggest a third product (available to the U.S.A. market) I'll add to the variables' group.

Thanks again.

Oct 18, 23 8:10 am  · 
 · 

If you can reach out to your local evonic/protectosil rep, they should be a good resource. I know mine is. I can't speak for yours, but mine would likely donate the product for your test area and come out to the site to make sure it's applied correctly.

I'm less familiar with their products, but Fabrikem might be another manufacturer to consider. They're in BC so I'm not sure their reach into the US markets.

Oct 18, 23 10:48 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: