Archinect
anchor

Dream Crusher

Almosthip

I am now labelled the dream crusher in the office.  I have had 3 separate clients this year that wanted to take an old building and turn it into a daycare.  Today's client was a lady that was going to lease part of an old power company building.  So this building would require a change of use and occupancy from Office to Assembly.  Which than would trigger the requirement for a sprinkler system and also an elevator or a lift.  I thought the lady was going to start crying and than asked me why I had to make it so difficult for people like her to open a daycare.  

Dream Crusher strikes Again!

Oct 11, 23 5:43 pm
Non Sequitur

is daycare not considered the special kind of assembly typically reserved for detention centres and hospitals? 

Oct 11, 23 6:14 pm  · 
1  · 

I wish.

Oct 11, 23 6:25 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Won't you think of the children?!

Oct 11, 23 9:11 pm  · 
1  · 

I mean, better to bring that up before a contract is signed. 

Oct 11, 23 10:52 pm  · 
2  · 
poop876

How is daycare an assembly use group?

Oct 12, 23 9:50 am  · 
 · 

I can depend on the age of the children and the services provided.

I think it's an I-4 if they're young enough to not be able to self rescue and you're providing care.

If it's a indoor play park type space it could be considered an A occupancy. It's very confusing and can depend on the AHJ. :s

Oct 12, 23 10:05 am  · 
 · 
Almosthip

They are in Canada. All school and daycares are such here

Oct 12, 23 10:45 am  · 
3  · 

I forgot about Canada and their weird ways . . . ;)

Oct 12, 23 10:47 am  · 
 · 
poop876

Oh Canada! Thanks!

Oct 12, 23 10:54 am  · 
 · 

Oct 12, 23 11:02 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

"In what way do you think I'm responsible for zoning regulations?" 

I recently used the term "dream crusher" in another forum--once every week or two I break someone's heart when I tell them that no, they can't get a new, high-performance home for $200/sf, at least not in my market, in this decade, no matter what their family member tells. To ease the blow I tell them that I had wanted to build my own home, had free land from my in-laws, I could do much of the work myself but I still couldn't make it work financially, so instead we bought a drafty old farmhouse to fix up. 

Oct 12, 23 10:06 am  · 
3  · 
Almosthip

So you know what I am talking about when they look at you with those big sad puppy dog eyes when they realize their project is dead in the water.

Oct 12, 23 11:05 am  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

Oh yeah, I know it well. They usually get kind of mad at me and leave in a huff, assuming they'll find someone who tells them what they want. I drive by an undeveloped site often that's for sale. The owner had wanted a high-performance house, clad in brick, with a guest suite and a garage, and his budget was something like $300K--about half what was remotely possible at the time, and more like a third of what it would cost to do what he wanted.

Oct 12, 23 11:22 am  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

I was told I'm going to hell once when I had a similar conversation about converting a vacant big box retail building to a church...

Oct 12, 23 2:54 pm  · 
1  · 

I've had clients do the same. 

They've all been real estate 'investors' who've hired us to do conceptual master planning. They think that because of our location things are way cheaper here. Then the figure out quickly that construction costs are nearly as high as the metro area. This completely blows their proforma out of whack.

I've heard the following on just one project.  

Why can't you make this building cost less? (it's a bubbled diagram masterplan) 

Why won't the city work with us? (they though the city would pay for site improvements for real 'culture')

Why is the city requiring so much parking (they thought the city would allow a 50% reduction in parking because they're bringing 'culture' to the area)

Why isn't this ____ year old  building not in good shape to reuse?  It's so old and still standing so it must be ok.  (Already bought the building and finds out it's junk from our assessment)

Oct 12, 23 3:10 pm  · 
1  · 
BulgarBlogger

Consulting starts at $400 an hour.

Oct 12, 23 3:17 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: