Archinect
anchor

Housing for refugees! what can i do?

thegirlxyz

Recently there has been a flow of Rohingya refugees from Myammar into my home town Hyderabad. From what I've seen in the videos, since I live in the U.A.E, these refugees have been living in a pathetic conditions with their shelter being made out of just tree trunk and cloth. On enquiring, I've come to know that there are private organizations who are helping these refugees to make their lives better by providing them with clean water, food, clothing and various other necessities, but not much has been done to improve their housing. Being an architect , I feel its my responsibility to make sure these refugees have proper shelter over their head which can protect them in rain and heat and cold.

I just graduated last year and have no practical experience in construction or building. I've done some research about refugee housing and found the award wining sustainable IKEA refugee housing. The problem is I do not know if I will be able to order these to India. Also, it costs $1500 for one such tent and the life of it is only limited to 3 years. Having in mind the large number of refugees that are there, it will be very difficult to spend such a big amount on a family of just 5.

Now my main question is being an architect, what options do I have to find a cheap and sustainable options to locally construct the shelter. Will I be able to design this myself since I don't have any experience in shop drawings. I am open to all kinds of suggestions. What can I do so that it would even benefit me to get my hands on experience in building and construction?

link to IKEA refugee shelter just in case you haven't heard about it

http://www.designboom.com/architecture/ikea-refugee-shelter-award-winning-construction-01-31-2017/

Jun 15, 17 7:13 pm

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: