Archinect
anchor

Advice for clients who like to text a lot.

Just wondering how other professionals handle clients who primarily like to correspond by text messages instead of calls or email.

Its fine for "I'm running late" or "Are we still on for Tuesday" or something like that. But when they are confirming design decisions or sending RFIs via text do you follow up with an email or somehow archive the text messages?

I know keeping track of correspondence is important.

Apr 21, 17 7:01 pm
Wood Guy

I learned the hard way that texting is not a good way to run communication on a job. Too hard to archive, search, follow up, cc, etc. I now have in my contract that written communication will be by email. When clients prefer texting I ask them to text to my email address. There are various apps that allow for that. Lately clients have been using Facebook Messenger more. It's handy for preliminary discussion, but not for anything that relates to contract work. 

Apr 22, 17 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
I have an office phone and one email address. No client or contractor gets my cell number.
Apr 22, 17 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
nabrU

Chris, obviously any correspondence with clients should be recorded and that is why larger practices can afford and do(?) pay out/afford access/training in order for employees to have an integrated track record of communication. Personally I'd ensure that internal communications are also treated contractually, to avoid misunderstanding.

Apr 23, 17 12:42 am  · 
 · 

Thanks all for the feedback. I have been making sure to follow up with email.  

@ Wood Guy - I like the idea of spelling out communication methods in the contract but at the same time for smaller residential remodels I like to keep the agreements short and sweet. 

@ Non Sequitur - Smart. At first I thought "easier said than done" I am a sole practitioner and I don't have a separate office line but I am just now thinking that I can get a Google voice line (or something similar) and it will even transpose texts to email. Solves two problems at once.

Apr 23, 17 12:36 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: