Archinect
anchor

Architecture Firms in Spanish-Speaking Countries

rfk7

Hello!

I'm graduating with a B.Arch in June and I'm looking to locate to a Spanish-speaking country. My top choice was Spain, but given the current state of their economy, I wanted to look into other countries as well (Currently thinking of Colombia, Argentina, or Chile, but also looking for suggestions)

I am working on my Spanish, but it won't be strong enough to keep up with a fast-paced office environment. Any suggestions for english-speaking firms in any Latin American/South American countries? 

Cultural notes?
Job-seeking notes?
Firm databases?
Other people interested in working south of the U.S. too?

Gracias!

Apr 10, 17 10:38 pm
Non-ASD Jequitarchitectur

Architects from spanish speaking countries emigrate to english speaking countries due to poor employment prospects and you are doing the opposite, without even knowing the language well enough?

Good luck.

Apr 11, 17 10:07 am  · 
 · 
rfk7

I'm sorry, but please do not go out of your way to put someone down just for the sake of putting them down. If you have something constructive to say or helpful advice to give, please do, otherwise please do not cloud up the forum.

Apr 21, 17 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

first question; why?

second question; have you worked at any firm anywhere?

advice; look at their websites and start communicating before committing to travel.

these are most if not all the architecture firms in chile, good luck

http://www.aoa.cl/oficinasaoa/

and btw, daer is wrong, architects from spanish speaking countries are migrating to asia, not us or uk.

Apr 11, 17 11:54 am  · 
 · 

I don't know about the US but the UK is full of unemployed architects from Spain and Italy. Some of them are very experienced and well qualified but work in entry level jobs. The firm I worked for last summer got regular calls from people like that looking for work. A friend who works in architectural recruitment can confirm the same and you can meet plenty of spanish architects in networking events in London.

Apr 11, 17 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

oh if only italy spoke spansih, and spain was the only country where the language was spoken, sorry, I thought you said spanish speaking countries.

Apr 11, 17 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

you have a point, though, spanish and italian architects are the laziest around, that's why they won't go outside the EU.....wait, oops!

Apr 11, 17 12:12 pm  · 
 · 

I never said that they are lazy. I can't follow you.

Apr 11, 17 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

if they weren't lazy, they would be elsewhere, not in the UK.

Apr 11, 17 1:18 pm  · 
 · 

I am not sure why you are making this assumption.

Apr 11, 17 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
rfk7

Thank you for your advice JLC-1! I've worked in two firms in California, one being a smaller boutique firm, and the other a larger firm with a more diverse range of projects and clientele.

Apr 21, 17 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
rfk7

And honestly, the main reason I want to move to a Spanish-speaking country is for the language and the culture. I've always been fascinated with both and this period of my life is the right time to make the move.

Apr 21, 17 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

strongly recommend looking at Chile, easier than Spain for immigration and a lot going on in architecture, have you looked at Mexico at all?

Apr 21, 17 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
rfk7

Oh great, good to know! And I haven't looked into Mexico yet, but I was going to look into Mexico City and Guanajuato as I've heard there's an abundance of architecture firms there.

Apr 21, 17 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

and monterrey.

Apr 21, 17 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
rfk7

Ah yes, thank you! I really appreciate your help.

Apr 21, 17 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
think_again

More info on the reason for your relocation would help. I can understand the economy factor but the majority if not all spanish speaking countries are producing great architecture work. You can see this showcased at the 2016 Biennale by A. Aravena - "Reporting from the Front."

Apr 11, 17 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
rfk7

I completely agree! I am still hoping to find a job in Spain, and I've reached out to several firms, but I'm thinking I should be realistic and broaden my search in case I don't find a firm that is hiring in Spain. From what I've heard, very few firms, if any, are hiring at the moment.

Apr 21, 17 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
AlenaParunina

Hey Roxy!

I am also thinking about doing the same thing so I stumbled upon your thread here at Archinect. Were you successful last year to find employment in South America? I am still at early stages of my research so any advise or help would be much appreciated? 

How did you go on with looking for firms? Is there a database or a website with job postings in South America? Did you get response from any firms that you could share? I am also looking at Argentina, Colombia or Chile - Panama might work as well.

Please let me know if you have some useful information!

Thanks!

Mar 11, 18 6:34 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: