Archinect
anchor

Windows on lot line wall- curious about implications

likeit

I have limited experience working on urban projects and was curious about existing windows in lot line walls; when there are windows in existing buildings in the lot line wall, what are the implications/consequences of adjacent lot getting developed to a height, which blocks the windows.If there is no light and air easement built into the deed, how is the situation resolved...thanks much:)

Apr 3, 17 1:14 pm
Non Sequitur

Lawyers... likely.

Your main concern should be the spread of fire from one property to another.

Apr 3, 17 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

Unless there's an easement or a required setback, you can block them all you want to.

Apr 3, 17 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

^ more than likey what he said

Apr 3, 17 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

the adjacent lot may be required to block your windows

Apr 3, 17 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
likeit

Thanks gwharton and non seq. this may be asking for free design/ rhetorical advice, appreciate it.. what if you were developing, a lets say, 18 story building on a narrow, really deep plot and on one side the adjacent plot was undeveloped, and on the other, there is an existing 20 story building. You would of course design for any natural light devices, atrium, lightwells that you could, but would you put in windows, that you know could potentially get blocked later...

Apr 3, 17 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I would not. I would angle/direct as much glazing towards the street or rear set-back as possible in order to keep the day lighting out of my neighbour's hands so to speak.

Apr 3, 17 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

The building code prevents you from putting much glass on an inside property line adjacent to another lot anyway. If you wanted to have windows there, you either need to set the building back 10 feet or more, or buy an easement from your neighbor.

Apr 3, 17 4:33 pm  · 
 · 

The existing building is typically required to block up their own windows. At their own costs. 

Apr 3, 17 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
PrincetonArchitecture

Zoning set backs. Yes a 5 or 10 foot set back is now the standard almost every where in the country.

Jul 6, 17 11:15 am  · 
 · 
tduds

More importantly, even in areas without zoning setbacks, IBC restricts glazing amounts

Jul 6, 17 12:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: