anchor

Revit User Survey

GabrielleBovard

Hello!

I am conducting a little bit of informal research and wondering:

1.  Why did you choose to learn Revit?

and

2.  How did you learn?

Personally, I craved something more sophisticated than AutoCAD that could simply create elevations as I modeled a floor plan.  I understand a lot of hesitation toward shifting over to BIM--there is a steep learning curve and a lot of time spent up front to establish the model.  I was introduced to Revit briefly in college, but learned much of it on my own through videos and forums like this one.

If you haven't learned yet, what is preventing you from doing so?

Mar 1, 17 11:57 am
archietechie

Because I don't want to get fired.

Mar 1, 17 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
GabrielleBovard

Wow, that's a lot of pressure on your decision! Did your company pay for your training or did you have to wing it?

Mar 1, 17 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
archietechie

Kidding.

Meant to say, better keep up to date with the times.

Mar 1, 17 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
  1.  Because in order to stay current I need to know the tools available to me. Also, since I'm inching my way to senior level architect (I'm only 33 so is senior really the right term?), being fluent in revit allows me to call out the bullshit 10/10 skills fresh grads claim on their CVs.
  2. Fooled around with Revit back in the glorious days of 2006. 8 years later, my office paid for a autodesk intro course and I learned everything I needed within the first day.  I've been a Revit wizard ever since.
Mar 1, 17 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
xx__

>I'm only 33 so is senior really the right term?

With Revit it's easy to manage up to 4-6 projects by yourself alone, so you gain exp real fast.

Mar 1, 17 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

... and you've successfully managed how many multi-million projects at the same time? Software is not going to save you if you don't know what you're doing in the first place.

Mar 1, 17 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
Driko

learn revit. its just better all around. Rhino imo is best for design but dont expect to be designing on the job.

Mar 1, 17 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
Shamila Zubairi, AIA
Because I am a geek at heart. I love the 3D nature of Revit, not because of renderings but the isometric type views that explain a lot to the client. All the years that I was studying for ARE 4.0, I gave up a lot of stuff that would distract me from studying. Updating my Revit skills was one of the things that took the back burner. Now I have gotten back to it and look forward to the time when I can work in a place with the most updated platforms like Revit, Rhino and Lumion
Mar 1, 17 5:58 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: