Context:

Multi-family building

4 stories with elevator

8 units total

8 required parking spaces (private)

No visitor parking required

No public site amenities provided

To be constructed in Massachusetts 

The Fair Housing Act states " a minimum of two percent of the parking spaces serving covered dwelling units be made accessible and be located on an accessible route. "

Question:

If I have 8 required private parking spaces, and FHA requires 2% of all parking spaces be accessible, do I need to round up and provide a minimum of one accessible parking space?

Or does this rule suggest that I only need one accessible parking space only after I surpass 50 parking spaces?

Been trying to google this for half an hour, cannot find an answer to my question. Please help!

Thanks

Feb 21, 17 2:54 am
Bloopox

You need to round up.  You need at least one accessible parking space for residents.

You may need more than one accessible space:

1. If different types of parking are provided.  For instance, if some of your spaces are covered and some aren't, then you need a minimum of 2% of each type to be accessible.  Same thing if some of your designated parking spots are on-street and some are in a lot, or if some are in a gravel area and some in a paved area. (See the Fair Housing Act Design Guide)

2. If your local zoning or building code or state accessibility amendments require more than one parking space per housing unit - in which case your total number of required parking spaces may increase substantially. This may depend on the type of unit (i.e. 1 vs. 2-bedroom).

3. If your local zoning or building code or state accessibility amendments require visitor parking, in which case 2% of designated visitor spaces need to be accessible, in addition to 2% of resident parking spaces.

Feb 21, 17 11:04 am  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

Additionally, the ADA requirements outline parking requirements for residential facilities.  For each unit required to be accessible, at least one accessible space is required.  So, if you have required accessible units, then you'll have to meet that as well.  

No visitor parking?? That, kind of sucks, unless you have some serious site constraints.  But if you put in separate visitor parking, it will have to comply as a separate facility, as well.  

Feb 21, 17 11:24 am  · 
 · 
lobsterwithpingpongball

Thanks for responding friends, super helpful

Feb 23, 17 12:09 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: