Archinect
anchor

MDF - Main Distribution Frame room

Muladi

"What size does and Main Distribution Frame room need to be?"

I am a brand new PA and I was just asked this question by the colleagues in the office.

I don't know the answer to that and I think that maybe an IT consultant would be able to answer that better than I could. However, I thought I would ask for advice so I seem less green, as a PA. 

Feb 8, 17 10:38 am
x intern
Totally depends on size of building and use. Look at another similar project on your server.
Feb 8, 17 10:42 am  · 
 · 
JonathanLivingston

One data / telephone comes in serving the whole building. MDF board breaks it apart and provides service to individual tenants/occupants of the building. 

Feb 8, 17 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

It's a trick, because if you know what you are doing you will punt this to a consultant or the client's IT infrastructure team. There is no way to answer that question without a ton more questions - it could be a closet or 1,000 SF. How many racks does it need to serve? How much heat load needs to be addressed? Are there M/E redundancy requirements? 

Feb 8, 17 11:04 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Heat is a big issue. We've had to design individual dedicated air conditioners for each of these rooms in a previous project. 20 in total.
Feb 9, 17 7:40 am  · 
 · 

Heat and equipment will drive the design.  

First these rooms often have huge racks of equipment like a computer server for example. They need clear space around this equipment to work on things so equipment size plus 3 feet. Static resistant floors, sometimes you need to make the room volume larger than you normally would by not having a drop ceiling so there is more space for heat to dissipate.

the equipment is key. and sometimes a big MDF or IDF room 2000+ will have a raised floor so ramps and railings may be needed.

Websites I used to get a preliminary feel for the equipment sizes below, but an IT guy will try to work with the room you give them. I often try not to make it less than 6' clear in any direction.

https://www.racksolutions.com/

http://www.budind.com/large_cabinet_racks.php

Also look at the local building codes they may have specific requirements as well.

Over and OUT

Peter N

Feb 9, 17 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
Muladi

Thanks everyone for the advice. I really appreciate all the input!

Feb 10, 17 11:34 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: