Archinect
anchor

Architecture advice needed

adriancic1993

Hello, my name is Adriana, and I have finished International Tourism Management.  I am passionate about houses though and would be interested in starting a new course in Architecture. I had a special interest since childhood, and what started with drawing floorplans on paper as entertainmet, got to building houses in a free 3D modelling software that I discovered later (Google Sketchup), all just for fun. My passion is fuelled by pure interest, I had no outside influence, no one in my circle is an architect. I would like to do this as a career, but the downsides at the moment are:

1 - me not being able to afford education (my family's financial sources are depleted),

2 - not being 100 percent certain it would be for me, fear of sacrificing everything for nothing (fear developed after I realised my former course wasn't for me),

3 - I hear it's a very demanding course and as I grew "allergic" to stress, I fear I might not cope with it anymore.

Before I made any step, I wanted to know whether it is possible at all to get to volunteer in this field first, seeing what exactly an Architect's job involves on a daily basis, to have an idea about the reality of working in this industry. I personally haven't heard of this anywhere... However, it is quite hard to believe that students should take the risk of investing everything they have or haven't got in something they don't know how is going to end.

I would appreciate it if anyone would be willing to share an insider opinion.

Thank you,

Adriana

P.S.: I apologize for any mistakes made, English is not my first language.

Feb 7, 17 2:18 pm
Almosthip7
I don't know about the states but here in Canada you don't need to be an architect to design houses. In fact most architects I know don't want to design houses.
Feb 7, 17 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Please do not volunteer to work for a designer of any sort, as it encourages bad behavior and takes the food out of the mouths of those that cannot afford the luxury of donating their time.

Shadow an architect and see what they do for free, sure, but don't do work for free.

Feb 7, 17 4:23 pm  · 
 · 

You may be looking in the wrong place if you've grown "allergic" to stress.

Feb 7, 17 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Almostship, that is mostly incorrect. Although anyone in Canada can design, you have to be very clear that you're not advertising anything that could be misunderstanding as real construction or permit docs.

You certainly need quality skills though I anyone is to trust you with their money so it's rather unlikely that anyone without training or experience can just design anyways. This is not uber afterall.
Feb 7, 17 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Also, allergic to stress? Right.....

I feel I'm more likely allergic to the lack of stress.
Feb 7, 17 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
Yes I agree with what your saying, however you don't need to be a licensed architect to design houses. There are other professions that could facilitate her interests. I didn't mean for her start basement drafting. Just could pursue cheaper and less stressful education options.
Feb 8, 17 1:32 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Maybe you can check out some free online courses, EdX or something and maybe visit some graduation shows and talk to the students about your ideas/concerns about what you think it means to study architecture. And indeed, nobody needs to be an architect to design houses, if you want to treat it like stress free playing with lego's that's fine too. Nice and relaxing, what about Minecraft? You can always publish your creations on a tumblr or pinterest board and see the response. But being allergic to stress the real world of architecture might just not be your schtick, I would advise against doing it professionally in that case or find a rich significant other so you don't have to do it to make a living but for the fun of it.

Feb 8, 17 5:37 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Just get a paid job as a receptionist in an architectural firm and go from there. Maybe take an evening class in drafting as a second step. In fifteen states you can become licensed though experience alone. If the company you work for is ethical and worth working for they will help you.

Feb 8, 17 8:35 am  · 
 · 
adriancic1993

Hi, Adriana here! Thank you very much for your responses.

I do realise some level of stress is present everywhere, but I would presume if you do it with passion, stress should be the energy that drives you, not the kind that blocks your flow, leaving you in a state of harmful anxiety, rendering you useless... unless you're in the wrong job. I do realise the work is complex, where you have to take many aspects into consideration. I don't think the complexity of the project would scare me though, I think it would add excitement and satisfaction. My concern is, while I'm learning, the stress could consist of a big volume of information and activity, mostly unrelated, happening all at once, which leaves no time for me gaining an understanding, leading to my inability to concentrate and function. That's how I explain my allergy to "stress". Anyway, I did hear there is such a thing as part time education.

On the actual job: what do you take into consideration when working on a project? My guess would probably be: the building rules and regulations of the area, the  weather, the environment, the client's needs, the appropriate materials for the build, positioning in relation to where the sun is going to be throughout the day, probably the pipes too, from what I can imagine. Please tell me if I'm wrong or there's anything else to add or cross out.

One more thing... I live in the UK, so probably the things may be a bit different here.

Feb 8, 17 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
adriancic1993

Rebecca Mumford: " There are other professions that could facilitate her interests."

That's interesting! I don't think I have heard of there being anything else, could you give me some examples please, so I could look a little into them?

Feb 8, 17 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

"One more thing... I live in the UK, so probably the things may be a bit different here."

So why would you be concerned about the position of the sun? The position of the sun in the UK is static not dynamic, it sits there behind the clouds.

Feb 10, 17 5:44 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

usually the work is relatively easy.  The "stress" is caused by scheduling/client factors

Feb 10, 17 9:08 am  · 
 · 
adriancic1993

:)) true about the sun, but I come from a sunny country, so it's in my blood to worry about it. In fact, I don't know if you live in the UK, but it's actually not cloudy every day... not at all what I expected.

Feb 10, 17 7:09 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

It's actually very good to worry about that sort of thing, it would suck if you wrongly position your windows so you won't be able to enjoy those rare rays on that one special day a year.

Feb 13, 17 4:11 pm  · 
 · 

Try looking into Architectural Technology.  Here in Canada it is a 2 year college diploma program

Feb 13, 17 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Rebecca, way to set the bar low.
Feb 13, 17 7:26 pm  · 
 · 
Wow non....just giving the girl a suggestion. If she wants to design houses it's a good avenue to pursue. I currently am an architectural technologist and I make 90k a year so I'm not sure how low that bar is but I figure I'm doing alright. Yes I want more so I am currently in the RAIC Syllabus program. But my college diploma has served me well the last 10 years.
Feb 13, 17 7:55 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Rebecca, the OP lives in the UK. Doubtful they would move overseas for a 2y canadian diploma.

Feb 13, 17 9:20 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip7
They have similar programs in the U.K.
Feb 13, 17 9:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: