Archinect
anchor

Workflows and alternative to Revit

archiwutm8

Alright lads, I'm finding Revit extremely restricting for my line of work where I work with as-builts. Walls would be bowed, tilted and whatever else happens to 100 year old buildings. I work with quite a lot of strange curved objects and Revit just doesn't cut it anymore where accuracy is need 10mm +/-. Problem two, my clients all need Revit objects because they like to move individual families. I like rhino which I only really used in my arch BA however from what I understand when importing into Revit the objects won't magically become families. Would dynamo be the answer to all my problems? From when I used it lightly it still felt restrictive in comparison to a nurb modeller like Rhino. Any advice please? Typing this on a phone, will edit when I get home.

Jan 26, 17 1:04 pm
archietechie

So after defending revit vehemently previously, you've only come to know NOW that it's a very restricted modelling program? lol k

Anyway, since your client needs revit obs and fams, you don't very much have a choice for a BIM platform now is there?

Dynamo, among other things, is a plugin that generates revit objects parametrically. How does it help in this case?

Jan 26, 17 1:43 pm  · 
 · 

From what I've experienced, Revit doesn't do sloped walls easily, never mind walls with a complex curve. I'm sure it can be done, but it would take a ton of effort. 

If you were trying to develop a dynamo plug-in to slope your walls, I just don't know what parameter there is to modify the angle of the slope. It's not really even an option. It seems simple enough in theory, but I don't think Revit has the capacity even though it really should.

You could possibly build a tool that creates masses and then automatically hosts walls to those masses, but you're talking about a very complicated script. 

I'm no expert, but it seems like something you might want to hire an expert to develop for you. Especially if you have clients to manage. 

Good luck.

Jan 26, 17 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Archietechie, I'll defend Revit but it isn't a program to do everything but its a great program.

Dynamo is good but still it has it's limited from the little amount I've used it.

I have methods in Revit to slope and slightly bow walls but none of which is accurate for grade listed buildings. Dynamo on the other hand I've got tiny amounts of experience. 

Does anyone know a way to convert Rhino modelling into individual objects in Revit? doesn't necessarily have to have a defined family. Can be generic named.

Jan 26, 17 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
archietechie

Now so great now aye?

So if dynamo's good, there's your solution ain't it? 

As for your last question: youtube.

Jan 26, 17 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
proto

you need to allow for some wiggle room. imagine drawing it with a pencil and be realistic about what is worth capturing in the spirit of accuracy. Just because your tool can measure decimals of mm doesn't mean you should document old buildings that way

sometimes you have to interpret what you're recording and discern the intent of the wall location (it was meant to be straight -- what is the most reasonable vector to represent the location?)

you need to learn when to document something that is unusual versus something that is just not perfectly planar or plumb. it comes with experience. no one wants to draw on stuff thats all wonky even if thats how it is in real life.

btw, thats what trim is for in traditional building

Jan 26, 17 7:48 pm  · 
 · 
archietechie

*Not

Jan 26, 17 7:55 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Rhino and ArchiCAD have an integrated workflow now, so objects DO become the ArchiCAD equivalent of families. There's also Microstaton.

Jan 27, 17 6:34 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Problem is I need Revit for clients. It has to fit into everyone's workflow. If I could model in Rhino and turn them into Families in Revit that would be fantastic. I'll look at Dynamo more during the weekend.

Yes the information is from a 3D scanner

Jan 27, 17 8:10 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

your clients should be using IFC format files for building operations and as-built/ whatevers.

revit is proprietary - it is idiotic to keep archival information in a proprietary format.

Jan 27, 17 9:38 am  · 
 · 
z6jbishop

My favorite part is that you cannot open a Revit2013 file in Revit2012 and so on.

Jun 16, 17 11:56 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: