Archinect
anchor

Hug Good Architecture! (but not Herzog DeMeuron's Elbphilharmonie)

It's just not friendly, and will cut you.

Overall it reminds me of Mr. Blobfish, but I'd give Mr. Blobfish a hug before I'd hug that building.

Jan 24, 17 2:02 pm
Non Sequitur

so slimy

Jan 24, 17 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Blob fish always frowns.  

Jan 24, 17 3:54 pm  · 
 · 

Tate Modern?

Jan 24, 17 5:53 pm  · 
 · 

Careful it might bite you.

Have you ever heard the sound of an alligator's jaws snapping shut? Terrifying.

Jan 24, 17 7:39 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

*sheepishly* I kinda like it...

Jan 24, 17 8:12 pm  · 
 · 
archietechie

The interior wall panels are specially designed to optimize acoustic properties though so that should count for something. Look for their work in progress images, it's a work of art actually.

Jan 24, 17 9:58 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Not sheepish about it, love it.

Jan 25, 17 12:49 am  · 
 · 
midlander

Do you only like huggable architecture?

As a personal preference that's fine, but it's a bit like saying you only watch feel-good movies. Fine, but you're going to miss out on a lot of the good stuff.

I might question it if this was a hospital or elementary school, but for a concert hall wedged at the corner of a post industrial redevelopment hard-edged is totally fine. To the point of being formulaic, though in this case there is some redeeming weirdness going on. Better than caixa forum in barcelona x 1,000,000.

Jan 25, 17 3:56 am  · 
 · 
Excellent use of sheepish, tduds.

midlander, I definitely don't only like huggable architecture. Sometimes I want to hug architecture that is downright unhuggable, because it's apparent unhuggability is what makes it awesome!

Outside of metaphors, though, I'm curious why you dislike Caixa Forum more than this ? I don't like it either, for similar reasons to this, but I haven't really compared them yet.
Jan 25, 17 7:52 am  · 
 · 
randomised

The Philharmonie facade reminds me more of the surface of a cheese grater:

Jan 25, 17 7:55 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

One to One designed the interior for acoustic didn't they? Every part of the wall acoustic barrier was custom.

I want to throw myself at the wall and bounce off it.

Jan 25, 17 9:18 am  · 
 · 

Nice, randomized. But imagine if that cheese grater mated with a squid. Or with the cutest octopus, the Opisthoteuthis adorabilis.

Jan 25, 17 9:37 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Jan 25, 17 9:55 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Ouch, that would be painful.

Jan 25, 17 10:04 am  · 
 · 
chris-chitect

Sharp edges to cut through the fog.

Jan 25, 17 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

That's an amazing photograph.

Jan 25, 17 1:11 pm  · 
 · 

<cue shark approach music from Jaws>

Jan 25, 17 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
TIQM
I'd love to hear what people love about that building.
Jan 25, 17 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
TIQM
And Donna, that is a damn cute little octopus. I can just hear my daughter when she sees it, " Aaaawwwwwww!"
Jan 25, 17 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

I thought it was the Burger King headquarters.

Jan 25, 17 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

...and not a crumbling pile of rubbish.

Jan 25, 17 7:15 pm  · 
 · 

What?!? David Curtis, WHAT?!?!?! Graves' Portland building is magnificent compared to this mashed-up ice queen humping a tree stump!!!*

*That's my story andI'm stickin' to it.

Jan 25, 17 10:33 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

screw architecture

Jan 25, 17 10:47 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

At least they are doing their own thing and not copycatting.

Jan 25, 17 10:49 pm  · 
 · 

donna i cant believe your inability to hug this building. It's beautiful. I cant say why though, only an opinion.

Jan 26, 17 5:06 am  · 
 · 
tduds

Regardless of it's merits as a statement, the Portland Building - as a building - is a total failure.

Jan 26, 17 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I mostly agree. 

Jan 26, 17 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
go do it

Why can't clients see ugly architecture and say "damn that is some ugly architecture"  and not drop the check?

If that architect could sell the Portland Building he could probably sell Trump a Prius limousine.  

Jan 26, 17 9:42 pm  · 
 · 
TIQM

"Do you only like huggable architecture?

As a personal preference that's fine, but it's a bit like saying you only watch feel-good movies. Fine, but you're going to miss out on a lot of the good stuff."

This is an interesting subject.  It seems to me that architecture is really different than movies, or frankly, different than a lot of fine art.  Architecture exists in the public realm, and is a civic enterprise.  You can not buy a ticket to a movie, or walk out if you bought a ticket and find the experience unpleasant.  In your own house, you can surround yourself with art you personally enjoy, or visit a museum to see it.  But architecture is by it's nature almost always part of the civic environment, and I believe that the architect bears a duty to design in a way that is, in some sense, "huggable".

What huggable means, is of course debatable, especially in 2017.  A hundred and fifty years ago, that would have meant creating beauty.  Since 1915 or so, that concept has been a challenging one for many artists, and architects.  But I think, at a minimum, the architect should understand that they are contributing to an environment that is shared by all. 

Jan 27, 17 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

at a minimum, the architect should understand that they are contributing to an environment that is shared by all. 

+++

Jan 27, 17 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Bah. If we want hugs, get a stuffed bear.

I want architecture that provokes provocation. This, clearly does. The public voted for a douchecanoe, I have zero faith in an educated consumer. 

Jan 27, 17 6:31 pm  · 
 · 

Architecture that provokes provocation? Is that like choking on your own tongue?!?

I love bourbon. I would hug alllll the bourbon.

Jan 27, 17 8:14 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

"Moreover, his tiny windows (Portland Building), which were meant to also evoke the body – or "one window, one worker," as he said in his 1982 lecture – were immediately criticised by occupants as too small, leaving the interior dark and uninviting. "Perhaps they were too small, but that was the intention," Graves conceded in the League talk. Graves also lost a bid to outfit the building's interiors." De Zeen

So, in the Pacific Northwest, where light is precious, Graves designs a building with tiny little windows and blows it off when the occupants complain?

Jan 27, 17 8:41 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

quick question, I am witnessing the final touches on construction of a building/space that has every cliche of  "modern" or "contemporary" details.  You know, like fake concrete formwork holes (not even made in concrete), veneers of fake Scandanavian wood, etc....it resembled the cliches in logic of PoMo but its not.  What do we call that?  (fake modern honesty of materials in abstract = fake EIFS columns)  Post-Contemporary? Post Dwell Magazine? Low grade high-end modern?

Jan 28, 17 7:58 am  · 
 · 

Faux(st) modern

Jan 28, 17 8:19 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

will roll with it. done. nice phrase.

Jan 28, 17 10:37 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: