Archinect
anchor

Whats the most difficult and/or important design profession?

x-jla

opinions?  

Dec 23, 16 1:59 am
archietechie

Products most likely. That which extends to ergonomics of computers and smartphones.

Dec 23, 16 2:42 am  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

Who does majority of the work?

who hunts down projects?

who is responsible for the most coordination?

Who has to spoon feed "professional consultants" and do majority of their work?

Who gets paid the less but works the most?

Who has to cover their a$$ the most?

Dec 23, 16 11:14 am  · 
 · 
natematt

^Honestly, the design part of these is often a bunch of garbage. A lot of "ergonomic" products are not well liked or used. Less robust applications of ergonomics to products liked for other reasons are probably more meaningful. Smartphones are obviously poorly designed. What other object do you have to buy a case for because by itself it isn't durable enough for reasonable intended use?

I think it could be broadly argued that sustainability is one of the bigger objective criteria for importance. As such I think the design surrounding the fields that have a greater impact on the health of our world might be more "important." Which would be architecture, branches of product design (electronics, etc), and automotive maybe? I don't think this really makes them more Important though, because the whole thing with design is that different fields are developed around things that aren't really comparable to each other and each have their own importance in our lives.

Dec 23, 16 11:20 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

What about medical devices? Pacemakers, hip and knee replacements, prosthetics, catheters. I know a guy who designs high end wheelchairs, it looks like a great job with low stress and high pay, high reward and high demand. 

Dec 23, 16 11:40 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

I have a friend who designs prosthetics.  pretty interesting stuff.  

Dec 23, 16 11:44 am  · 
 · 
tduds

What other object do you have to buy a case for because by itself it isn't durable enough for reasonable intended use?

The human body.

Dec 23, 16 11:53 am  · 
 · 
chigurh

tintt - I was going to say biomedical engineering - building a replacement heart is probably pretty difficult and important.

Dec 23, 16 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Are you (still) in high school?

Dec 23, 16 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

no, the OP

Dec 23, 16 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

No, why do you ask?   Creeper

Dec 23, 16 8:38 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

I believe anthropogenic climate change to be the biggest problem we face, and the most immediate, so I would say that any design profession that addresses that problem is among the most important. No other aspect of design matters if we can't live on the planet.

Dec 25, 16 6:39 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: