Archinect
anchor

Upcoming architect with B.S. and M.Arch

zaival

Quick question for architects that have been in the field for a while in regards to getting a job. My fiance and I are graduating this May. I will be leaving with my masters in architecture and her with a B.A. in another field. She is actually going to be an ROTC grad and commissioning as a 2nd Lt in the Air Force this May, and we don't know exactly yet where she will be going. The plan was for me to follow her all of this time and she has always been honest about her assignments only being about 2 years at a time. This means that I would have to apply for an architect job wherever she is going when we find out in December, and then hope I even get one, and then hope that I get a job at the following location we go to after that 2 years. Her plan is to stay in for about 4-5 years to make captain and get her masters.

The problem for me is just the time in between, will I be able to advance in my career at all?

Is it likely that a firm will even hire someone that will be there for 2 years?

I'm banking on the fact that she will probably be near a city, such as Orlando, Tampa Bay, or Charleston SC. 

In addition, its my understanding that places of employment cannot discriminate on handing someone the job if they are affiliated with the military (being a military spouse). Can anyone attest to this?

Thanks everyone. 

Nov 9, 16 3:21 pm

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: