Archinect
anchor

Demo/construction

shellarchitect

Recently found out that the day care facility for one of my kids is going to be surrounded by demolition and construction for the next couple years. The original plan was that the current daycare would be relocated to a new facility, but for some reason construction on the new location had yet to begin. So now the daycare, an end unit in a strip mall, is going to be open and in use while work takes place all around it. I'm not super familiar with demo, but am very concerned that this will not be good for the children. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks! For reference here's a link to a fairly recent story about it. http://www.freep.com/story/money/business/2016/08/03/beaumont-moving-forward-royal-oak-shopping-center/88002834/

Oct 15, 16 10:18 pm
shellarchitect

Sorry, phone doesn't like paragraphs....

Oct 15, 16 10:19 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Demo-loud sometimes.
Oct 16, 16 8:38 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
Demo is messy. Debris field, especially in this type, is seldom contained, often carelessly performed, and yes, loud.

Your task, if you choose to accept it, be an advocate for your child, and be louder.
Oct 16, 16 9:43 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Are the children playing in the area of demolition/construction? Most cities have bylaws in place to seperate construction for other uses.  Could be be working hours, hoarding fencing, etc.  As long as the companies comply, there should not be much to worry about and in fact, big machinery might be exciting for the little ones!

But then again, you could light the torches and sharper the pitch fork and for a picker line.

Oct 16, 16 9:52 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

Asbestos abatement??

Oct 16, 16 10:02 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

exactly what i was going to ask geezer. has there been a proper asbestos abatement.

Oct 16, 16 10:03 am  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Tenant protection plan???

Oct 16, 16 11:27 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

can't answer a lot of these questions... There is a meeting this Thursday to present their plans, basically they've waited to the absolute last minute to reveal them.   A reporter I contacted over the weekend said that he was told the daycare was moving to a nearby vacant school, hopefully that is the case.

Abatement is supposed to begin "soon."  Site includes an auto repair, dry cleaner, and 20 yrs of lead paint.

The daycare could be completely surrounded by demo/construction depending on how it's phased.

I'm concerned mostly about containing demo and construction dust from the air and playground.  I'm also getting pretty pissed that nothing has been communicated despite numerous attempts over the past month to get some answers.  

I guess the drinking water has been "cloudy" for the past two weeks, was told it was nothing to worry about on thursday, and was told by a teacher that they were told not to tell the parents.  Basically went on a rampage after that.  The hospital had bottled water delivered friday and ordered testing done.

I assume it is due disconnecting and reconnecting water service, but hiding things doesn't make me very happy.

We are most likely going to leave the daycare at this point, which sucks because my wife doesn't work full time and we will probably end up paying for fulltime elsewhere.

Oct 17, 16 9:25 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
Holy crap. Dry cleaner and auto repair? What a mess that is. Move your kids to another county.
Oct 17, 16 10:00 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Have you considered wrapping your children in layers of bubble-wrap?

... nimby's are the worst.

We have a number of construction & demo projects (complete with juicy asbestos abatement) in a large elementary school complex and no one is complaining.  Put up fencing, re-route exit corridors, set up hoarding and overhead protection scaffolding, etc. 

Oct 17, 16 10:09 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
Dry cleaners are notorious for having all sorts of toxic chemicals to abate. Asbestos is candy compared to that.
Oct 17, 16 11:19 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Getting you kids out seems a no-brainer health-wise. If there is a unused school nearby they could go to why don't they? They could at least go to the unused school while the demolition and site remediation is going on. Sounds like you are being played for an idiot and fed BS.

Oct 17, 16 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

i agree, remediation started today, about 100 ft from the school... awesome

Oct 18, 16 9:48 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

plenty of space then.

Oct 18, 16 10:13 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

I guess they told one of the reporters that I talked to that they've offered to help us find a new daycare..... news to me

Oct 18, 16 11:37 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: