Archinect
anchor

Portfolio for review

pavou

As a recent B.Arch. graduate (5-year degree in Greece), I just finished putting together a portfolio of my most compelling school projects and a couple interior design commissions. By the end of this month, I will be living in London and actively job seeking. Before I start attaching it to applications, I could use some constructive criticism: what is missing, what is redundant, what could be different?

Based on my experience and my personality, I guess I could thrive more in a Part I position on a small scale firm, where I would ‘wear many hats’. Is this evident in my portfolio? Do you suggest a different approach?

Ps. I’ve been reading your critics on portfolios for the past year, so I’m eager to finally hear your opinions on mine!

Sep 21, 16 4:27 pm

It is my understanding that in the UK it is not the convention to include a photo. If you do include one, your attire should be professional.

I think you need to edit the number of images on the pages down. Use the white space as a design element.

I also do not think the box around the text works or the text needs more space.

Sep 21, 16 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
Yelo Architects

Valid points from z1111. We are seeing a lot of people include headshots on their CVs/portfolios which is fine, though it would be better to have a more formal one.

Agree with taking out the text box outline/the text being cramped, though maybe keep the square outlines around the project title and info boxes. 

You have lengthy flowery descriptions of the projects but we'd be more interested about reading about what you did on the project and your ideas behind it. Similarly less of the intricate illustrations and more elevations/sections/details/designs.  

It's worth having some personal interests/accomplishments in your CV and maybe include some of your art pieces at the end of your portfolio if they're good (only if they're good). If it comes down to two equally qualified candidates those details can be the deciding factor. We would imagine most small-medium sized practices have a similar view.

Overall, one of the better portfolios we've seen. Good luck.

Sep 26, 16 11:47 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: