Archinect
anchor

Layout for a residential floor

oscarjoyce

Eight contiguous windows are divvied among 3 residential units.  What kind of panel will be best for this?

The plumbing will have access spaces between kitchens and bathrooms.  There will be vents from the plumbing access space into the residential space to prevent moisture accumulation. 

What do you think?

Sep 13, 16 8:54 pm
Non Sequitur
Consultation fees start at $300 per hour. Also, your plan sucks.
Sep 13, 16 9:09 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

NS, I think this is supposed to be a riddle. I suggest - silicone.

Sep 13, 16 9:30 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

This reminds me: I love looking at floor plans.  Love it.  Always have.

Sep 13, 16 9:56 pm  · 
 · 
go do it

Yea I don't even know what i am talking about and this looks a little clunky to me.

So why did you chop off the corners of the square?

Sep 13, 16 11:34 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

now that you mention it go do it, those are the worst corner bedrooms I have ever seen. Maybe they are structural ? although the structural elements appear to thin to be a very tall building. I stick with - silicone.

Sep 14, 16 6:56 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

I don't understand your question about the windows.  Are you asking for a curtain wall recommendation?

As far as your plumbing chase, your "access" panels won't work because they occur in a fire-rated party wall.  Same problem exists with your ventilation concept?

Is this a school project?

You didn't ask about the plan itself, but the corner bedrooms won't accommodate a bed, and the interior units have dining space that won't accommodate a dining table.  The outswinging doors from the bathrooms are kinda clunky.

You always need to draw in basic furniture elements like beds, tables, sofas, TV's, etc. to know if an apartment plan works.

Sep 14, 16 8:23 am  · 
 · 
JimBob

Designing a building requires a lot knowledge and experience. Putting a floor plan on a screen and asking "what do you think" shows a lack of understanding that goes behind the planning required to do a proper design. There is no way to know if the building is code compliant or meets functional needs. We don't know how many floors, we don't know areas (I am not going to calculate it even if I could see the numbers), we don't know where the building is built, we don't know what jurisdiction is being built, we don't know the building materials, we don't know what the building program is, we don't know the construction of the interior walls, etc....So many people draw walls and think they have designed something. Ever heard of "form follows function"? It is a true statement. I can't comment on form when I know nothing about the function.

Sep 14, 16 9:53 am  · 
 · 
Beepbeep

needs another stair for egress

Sep 14, 16 10:47 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

The bizarro closet appendages in your living/dining rooms really awkwardly chop up the space. In fact there are strange appendages all over the plan; is that a column "grid"? The kitchens might be okay if you have a servant you would like to torture.

Sep 14, 16 10:52 am  · 
 · 

Looks like they're showing a scissor stair which would take care of the two means of egress from the floor. 

I don't know about you all but I love cooking on my stove when I'm smack up against my refrigerator and the countertop on the other side. If I can't get that in my kitchen, my second choice would be to just stick the refrigerator in the corner ... it really helps with what I'm presuming would be an industrial chic interior. It also really says "after thought" like all of the closet and bedroom spaces. 

I think I'm with Olaf on this though ... silicone.

Sep 14, 16 11:34 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

beepeep those are probably scissor stairs, not legal in certain cities anymore, so those may be existing plans? silicone.

Sep 14, 16 11:37 am  · 
 · 
StarchitectAlpha

Come on guys, you all know the floor plan doesn't matter it's all about location, square footage and comparables. I say squeeze more units in!!!

Sep 14, 16 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
chris-chitect

This is fun...

This is a modern building? It feels very 1970s-1980s to me. Don't know why.

I also really hate it when a wall has to jog or bend to meet a window.

Sep 14, 16 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

"I also really hate it when a wall has to jog or bend to meet a window."

Ohh... this... only int-des does this. I've seen them ask to jog a wall for a standard office bookshelf.

Sep 14, 16 1:25 pm  · 
 · 

chris-chitect, I think I get what you mean. The image looks as if it was scanned in from a magazine or something.

I'm waiting for the OP to mention that this is some unbuilt design from (insert famous architect) and we've all been trolled into criticizing a design we'd swoon over if we knew the architect behind it. Either way, my critique still stands.

Sep 14, 16 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^My critique may very well be worse

Sep 14, 16 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

"Eight continuous windows are divided among three residential units.."

I see ten one-bedroom apartments...Not sure what you are asking.

Sep 14, 16 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

What's 8 divided by 3 give you?

2-2/3 windows per unit?

Sep 14, 16 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
oscarjoyce

As you have observed I am not knowledgeable.   So the access spaces are supposed to be fire walls?  Does their being fire walls justify the vents into the living area? I believe that the plumbing is reached from entering them and there are spaces between bathrooms.

This is an actual building in the City of Chicago which got a score of 60/100 for physical structure by the independent contractor hired by HUD.  It is 21 storeys, 20 residential, and has been rented out this way for about 20 years.  The building is older, 1976.

Sep 14, 16 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Don't worry, fire did not exist back in 1976 so firewalls would not be expected.

Sep 14, 16 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Wat the question plz? I vote-elastomeric compound.
Sep 14, 16 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
Can I change my answer? I'm taking a page out of shop drawings 101 ... "by others."
Sep 14, 16 8:34 pm  · 
 · 
go do it

I think oscarjoyce is really olaf

will wait for the reveal

Sep 14, 16 9:32 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

not me. and the follow-up sentence makes even less sense than the post? what are we asking here?. silicone

Sep 14, 16 10:10 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

oscarjoyce, is this one of those shitty Habitat-owned buildings on the north lakefront?

gaaah, that plan is atrocious. did papageorge do this or something?

Sep 14, 16 11:37 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

If the building is already built, why are you asking about the exterior panels.  This looks like an office building that is being converted to apartments(?)

Sep 15, 16 9:56 am  · 
 · 
cadomestique

None of the units meets clear floor clearances for doors and around plumbing fixtures ;  party walls need to be fully rated at 1-hr minimum (walls between units) so a bead of silicon wont cut it. 

It can be done, the end connection to the curtain wall usually is integrated into the mullions and is rated as such. 

Sep 15, 16 12:14 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: