Archinect
anchor

Turning a hall into a walled garden?

goodgravy

Hello all,

We're considering buying a property which includes an 11m x 22m hall. It's of modern construction (about 20 years old), with a gable roof. It's like a village hall I suppose: no internal supports, just the walls and the roof. The walls are about 30cm thick; they've got pointed stone on the outside. I'm not sure if there are breeze blocks or something else on the inside though…

What we'd like to do is remove the entire roof and effectively turn it into a walled garden.

Obviously we'll get quotes, but wanted to sanity check the plan first of all:

- would the walls be structurally sound without the roof on top?
- how could we re-proof the walls to make them last without the roof?
- what about drainage for the (terracotta-tiled) floor? It looks level-ish, so it might turn into a swimming pool when it rained! We could remove the floor too but that would obviously drive up the cost.

I know I'm lacking a bunch of important details at the moment. What would be most helpful to know about the building to get a better idea of what would be involved?

Thanks.

Aug 14, 16 1:47 pm
Non Sequitur

consulting fees start at $300 an hour.

Aug 14, 16 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Whatever happens, call a bunch of architects, ask for free advice, and tell them their quote is too high, then ignore the advice and hire the cheap contractor. That's the best route.
Aug 14, 16 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

Or else hire one of the architects, use the cheap contractor against their advice, and then stiff the architect when he presents his bill because he didn't adequately protect you from your own stupidity.

Aug 14, 16 7:37 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

This is cool, Archinect veterans advising against their own profession! Comedy gold!

Aug 14, 16 9:39 pm  · 
 · 
jp22

https://www.incollect.com/articles/charleston-calling_1

Here's a cool one.
Aug 14, 16 11:35 pm  · 
 · 
jp22

Definitely hit up a structural engineer to look into the walls and see if they need bracing...

Aug 14, 16 11:44 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Walled gardens are cool.  

Aug 15, 16 12:11 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Call a Residential Building Designer.

Aug 15, 16 2:08 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

11 meters by 22 meters is 36 feet by 72 feet. Quite a hallway!

Aug 15, 16 7:12 am  · 
 · 

So may issues here. Goodgravy, note:

1. This is an international site but the posters are majority US. In the US hall doens't mean the same thing as it does in UK.  I think your meaning is similar to what I learned on the Attingham Summer School for the Study of the British Country House - it's a big medieval open space where dinners etc would be held. (US friends: think of the scene in Braveheart when Wallace tells off the Scottish chiefs celebrating over wine. That's a hall. We learned about them in Arch history.)

2. This isn't a site for soliciting ideas from architects - it's not like Houzz. This is where architects talk to each other. If you're looking for advice on a project, the best you will get from this site is advice on how to find and work with a good architect who you will pay for their work.  My advice on that front: find an architect who specializes in residential work, not skyscrapers. Ask your family, friends, dentist, etc, anyone you know who might have worked with an architect and can recommend one. Call RIBA and ask for names of members in your area.

3. sameold, any profession will slag itself in the safety and comfort of its own community. Goodgravy wandered into our bar where we drink and commiserate. Not his/her fault, but also not indicative of who we are as professionals when workign with an ACTUAL client.

Aug 15, 16 9:17 am  · 
 · 
citizen

^ Is there a way we can cut & paste Donna's text into a sticky note/ preamble at the top of the forum page?

(e.g. "Tips for first-time posters seeking free architectural advice."  Understandable that folks with houses wanting ideas would attempt; equally understandable that overextended professionals would balk.)

Aug 15, 16 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

we used to have hall and parlor houses in america (and many derivations of that style).  we still do in a lot of places, don't we?  if the OP hall is similar to a hall and parlor house (connected to the house in the same way) i would be curious to see how (s)he makes this work.

Aug 15, 16 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Here is another idea from Charleston, SC.

Aug 15, 16 3:50 pm  · 
 · 

OP I may be wrong but I'm guessing you think something like this:

(image post from Pinterest who eff them never seems to work)

Where the walls remain standing but you plant the interior?

Aug 15, 16 4:16 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: