Archinect
anchor

Physical planning vs Urban Design

justinritchey17

What is the difference in physical planning and urban design? I have done research online to get two different answers, either that physical planning is urban design at a large scale or making construction street and site plans with curbs, utilities, etc. These definitions are different, and I would like to get a clarification of physical planning. Also is place making the same as urban design or is it different as well? Thanks for any answers.

Aug 3, 16 9:47 pm
citizen

Definitions will vary somewhat, depending  on whom you talk to.  Here's my understanding based on my experience.

Physical planning is often a catch-all term that includes (public sector/ gov't) planning efforts that shape the built environment in direct ways, such as location, layout and construction of infrastructure elements (streets, sidewalks, open spaces, waterways, public buildings, utilities, etcetera).  All of that cumulatively sets out the physical framework of a place.  It may also include things like regulation of property (i.e., land-use and subdivision codes) which also shapes built outcomes in a different way.

Urban design may be used synonymously with physical planning, but more often means a kind of subset that focuses on the design of public (and some private) space between buildings.

Place-making is usually used in conjunction with UD, but can be even more nebulous because it incorporates non-physical aspects such as local culture and history.

Again, these terms and concepts are somewhat squishy, with much overlap.  

Aug 4, 16 2:28 am  · 
 · 
cipyboy

^agree w citizen. UD involves solutions based on art and phenomenology/ experience, placemaking integrated to physical planning. Physical planning is the technical part. 

Aug 4, 16 10:34 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: