Archinect
anchor

Sabbaticals

molten

Thoughts on sabbaticals? Have you ever taken one to explore different interests? If so, did you come back to architecture with a better appreciation of it? Or leave the field completely?

Jul 18, 16 12:13 pm

I took what turned out to be an involuntary sabbatical in 2004-05 when I got laid off from a terrible job in NYC and used my severance check to move to Eugene, Oregon. I had never lived west of the Mississippi River before, and spent the next four months hiking all over the Oregon Cascades. It was the best thing I ever did. When I got a job offer in Chicago and re-entered the workforce, I was able to renew my focus on finishing my undergrad degree and preparing for grad school. The love for the Pacific Northwest I gained during that time ultimately led me to Seattle earlier this year, and I haven't regretted it for a second.

Jul 18, 16 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
We should find a way to get them in the profession. They will do a lot of good.
Jul 18, 16 1:50 pm  · 
 · 

My firm offers a paid sabbatical after (I think) ten years. The PM on one of my projects is out on sabbatical in Europe right now.

Jul 18, 16 1:54 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: