Archinect
anchor

LLC and Corp Legal???

CLOCLO

I worked at "architecture firms" that were LLC and Corp. Are these considered legal firms in terms of completing IDP/AXP hours? Specifically in the state of Florida?

Jul 11, 16 9:09 am
Non Sequitur

Ask Rick Balkins. He's the resident Florida legal expert here.

Jul 11, 16 9:11 am  · 
 · 

NON!!! STOP IT!!! You're summoning the STUXnet (to borrow a joke from a dear friend).

CLOCLO, I think the question is getting a registered architect to sign off on your work, not the firm corporate structure. Architecture firms take all kinds of forms including sole proprietor, LLC, PC, etc.

Jul 11, 16 9:21 am  · 
 · 
CLOCLO

Thank you Donna. The thing I'm worried about is the company is not owned by a licensed architect but rather they have one on staff who I work under. As long as he is the one signing my hours there shouldn't be an issue?

Jul 11, 16 9:28 am  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Check the board's licensing requirements. In NY, an LLC and a Corp are not allowed to legally offer architectural services, precisely because only licensed professionals are allowed to own the majority of shares in a company. That's why NY invented a new type of entity, a DPC (Design Professional Corporation) where up to 25% of the company is allowed to be owned by a non-licensed professional. I had to submit extra IDP hours precisely because I worked at an LLC, even though the person signing off on my hours was one of the owners and a registered architect. 

Jul 11, 16 9:36 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Ah, Donna...

Jul 11, 16 9:46 am  · 
 · 

Thank you Donna.

Jul 11, 16 4:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: