Archinect
anchor

Which job should I choose the one in Portland (OR) or The one in Los Angeles?

Currently I am an intern architect, I had my degree in UCLA. Right now I need to decide which job I should choose. The firm in Los Angeles paid me less than the one in Portland. The welfare in Portland is better than the one at Los Angeles. The thing I worried about is I have no friend at Portland everything need to be started from zero if I go there. 

Jul 9, 16 2:49 pm
Dangermouse

so, you'll make more money in portland, which also has a lower cost of living than LA, a fraction of the people and a more pleasant climate.

seems obvious

Jul 9, 16 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

LA is good for an internship and to experience the city if you've never been there.  Personally,  I wouldn't want to live there long term.  Its hot, expensive, roads are a mess, too many fakes etc

Jul 9, 16 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Start from scratch in a new, exciting city.  That's what your 20s and 30s are for.

Jul 9, 16 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

Nothing wrong with LA, but as Dangermouse sez,  if you are getting offered more money in a cheaper market and there are no other factors, get on the 5N and get up there.  

Jul 9, 16 5:18 pm  · 
 · 

Leah,

For a big city, Portland is actually a fairly decent city.

Meeting new people isn't too hard. Just a little thing about Oregon, don't act like your superior because you were from Los Angeles / California. That attitude can rub off wrong.

Aside from that, you should be okay.

Jul 9, 16 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
thearchitectsguide

Hi Leah, 

Often the best way to make a decision like this is to create a spreadsheet that lists the pros and cons in two columns and the firms in rows. This helps to visualize what your options are and you can even assign numbers of priority to each choice to help compare your options. 

Also, this article might be helpful for you:

25 Things To Consider When Choosing An Architecture Job Offer

Good luck!

Jul 11, 16 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Just a little thing about Oregon, don't act like your superior because you were from Los Angeles / California.

Yeah definitely don't do this in Oregon. Or, you know, anywhere. Not that you would, unless you're an asshole.

Jul 11, 16 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

i heard astoria has no competent building designers.  you could make a killing up there.  there's really no one at all in astoria who can design a theater or even a residential deck to respectable standards.  astoria is a totally untapped market for a unlicensed newbie building designer.  you would have no competition at all.  

Jul 11, 16 8:25 pm  · 
 · 
Fivescore

Wait...  since when is Portland "a fairly decent city"??  It was just a few weeks ago that you were claiming it's a hotbed of gang activity.

Jul 11, 16 8:28 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Astoria doesn't have enough construction to justify a competent building designer. Any significant developer just hires a Portland firm.

Jul 11, 16 8:49 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

"Just a little thing about Oregon, don't act like your superior..."-rwcb

you know, like telling experienced professionals that you know more about building codes than them for example.  or about licensing laws in countries that you've never worked in.  

Jul 11, 16 9:12 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

Astoria or Portland, whats the difference.  I heard there were no jobs out there. You might have supplement yourself with stock plan sales or writing software for 30 year old home computers

Jul 11, 16 9:17 pm  · 
 · 
proto

portland is full

move along

Jul 12, 16 4:12 pm  · 
 · 

You guys, you can;t necessarily blame Rick for clogging up the forums when most of what is here is responding to him and/or making private jokes about Astoria's lack of building designers.

Leah: Having a network of people you know is important.  Could you use the offer from Portland to negotiate a raise in LA? Do you enjoy the type of work you are doing in LA, or do you prefer the work at the firm in Portland? If you do go to Portland, could you contact UCLA alumni who are up there to help you get connected?

Jul 12, 16 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Ok serious time...

Leah: I've been living, studying and working in Portland for the past 4 years. If you'd like any advice about the city or the firm you're considering, feel free to ask me (either in this thread, or via PM if you'd like to keep the firm name confidential). I'll try to give honest, unbiased advice.

I don't know LA enough to offer a worthy comparison but I figure other people can chime in about that.

Jul 12, 16 5:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: