Archinect
anchor

Break from Architecture

hotissue

I posted about 2-3 months ago that I was not too happy at my new arch firm. I am still suffering but I was hoping to stay at least 6 mo - 1 yr. I started off as an intern and after a month and a half, I was promoted as a designer. Most of the PMs here are not licensed and they are not from architecture schools; one licensed architect signs all the drawings without looking at them. We recently hired a new licensed PM and he emphasized that this firm will bring me down to their low standards. He suggested that I need to look for a "real" architectural firm. This firm is not helping me strengthen my weaknesses at all but I am very valued here surprisingly....

With that said, my old boss contacted me yesterday for a better position, which is not related to Architecture. My first job was a graphic designer (Got tired of Architecture school so I tried out graphics) and they offered a position as a marketing director. Benefits are way better, flexible schedule, and very close to my house (so overall better environment). They need help setting up a creative department so they said that I do not have to stay for years if I do not want to. I want to take a break from being a CAD monkey, spend some time studying on my own for AREs, and self-teach 3D programs but I am afraid that this will ruin my resume.. I have 2 yrs experience in Graphics, less than 2.5 yrs in Architecture. Any advice will be helpful. 

Jun 28, 16 11:57 am
JeromeS

Do it-

Experience in different places, doing different things is good.  It may not contribute to IDP but you can always find a shit firm to get those hours if/when you need them.

Until them, seek out employment that benefits you and/or your family; benefits, work hours, salary.

Jun 28, 16 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

If I understand correctly, this would be the second "break" you have taken from architecture in a pretty short (4.5 years) period of time.  It doesn't sound like you are really too madly in love with the profession.  You need to be honest with yourself about whether you want to be an architect at all.  It sounds like the belly fire isn't there.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, but you really need to do a gut check.  This is a very shitty profession to be in if you're not in love with it.  I made the mistake of staying when deep down I knew I didn't love it, and I've regretted it ever since.  Don't make the same mistake.

Jun 28, 16 9:39 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

It sounds like you already know what you want to do but just afraid to.

Jun 29, 16 4:00 am  · 
 · 
hotissue

@JeromeS Thank you for advice! I am currently done with IDP so perhaps I can start studying for the exams.

@geezerfect You are correct - I don't think that I am madly in love with this profession but I do not hate it either. I used to like what I was doing in school, but reality was completely different. I print and staple drawings, becoming a cad expert without knowing the foundation of architecture, running to cities to submit, saving pdfs for PMs, and etc. I loved drafting but our boss said his goal is to reduce drafting in-house, he just wants everyone to coordinate with consultants. I guess I am at a point where I am thinking - what do I want to be in this profession? I wanted to design, render, prep CDs, and coordinate with consultants; but opportunities are limited and I am turning into a CAD slave and stapling machine. I don't hate what I am doing and I am hopeful that this profession will get better after I build more experience but at this time, I want to refresh my creative side of the brain. THank you for your response - I agree with you completely!

@archiwutm8 I wish I can do both - Architecture & graphics. My creativity is lacking more and more as I am married to CAD...... 

Jun 29, 16 9:59 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

Your current gig doesn't sound like it's teaching you anything.  Be grateful that your boss is, at least, being honest with you.  I'd say no matter what you decide, you should make plans to leave this job.  You're not getting anything out of it.

Good luck.  It's a quandary.  I know.

Jun 29, 16 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

Maybe I'm missing something here, but you seem to be considering only two options: a) stay were you are; or b) leave for a job in a graphics design firm.

Why don't you look for an architecture job where your talents and interests can be put to better use ?

Jun 29, 16 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
hotissue

@quizzical

True, that is another option but it is very difficult to find a position that is not a Job Captain / PM. For someone less than 4-5yrs of experience, it is hard to find a position since firms only want either interns, job captains, or project managers. I am constantly checking on job postings but no luck finding any that I qualify for. But I will keep searching!

Jun 30, 16 9:37 am  · 
 · 
x intern
Just FYI you are an intern and a 5 years you should be able to PM or even PA.
Jun 30, 16 10:50 am  · 
 · 
hotissue

@x intern

Thanks for that info. I came in as an intern here and I guess a lot of people still believe that interns are fresh out of school.. They promoted me because I knew way more than an intern in their definition. I have about 2.5-3yrs in architecture so most firms title that as Junior Designer / Junior Architectural Staff and etc. I am doing everything my Job Captain is doing (and way more) but they said it is too early for me to have that title. Can't wait till I get a uniformed title!

Jun 30, 16 11:12 am  · 
 · 
x intern
At two and a half years you really are still an intern. Junior designer is the same thing just less offensive to sensitive types. But you should be more useful than most.
Jun 30, 16 11:19 am  · 
 · 
gdub

I think it really comes down to the quality of the designs that your current firm is producing and the kinds of projects. If you like the designs and the kinds of projects, it might be worth staying. Lots of firms have licensed architects that just stamp away without reviewing the drawings, that's why there are so many RFI's and design driven CO's caused by design errors. Sometimes the people above you test you, so they make recommendations to see how you will react. It's a way to flush out the grumpy people who are hurting the office culture. That new project manager seems to have strong opinions. If they, in fact, do think the drawings suck, then you can potentially learn from them, as they believe there are ways to revise them or make them better. Right now, you are in a firm that believes in you and you are being promoted quickly. At your next firm, you might be hit with a hard dose of reality where you aren't the chosen one. If things are that easy where you are now, what stops you from studying for your ARE now, other than the story you keep telling yourself?

Consistency in your resume is nice. If you can rise in position quickly, that can be helpful for your career. Right now, you can make mistakes at the expense of your current firm. Right now the economy is strong. I think the time to test out the other kinds of jobs is when the real estate market takes a dive, not now. All I know is that when the economy tanks, you want to have lots of experience, you want to have consistency and if possible be licensed, so you stand out from the crowd. I worry that if you move away from architecture because the money or title is better in that other position that you might never come back and will regret it later.

Last thought, maybe the reason the architect above you stamps the drawings is because they believe that they have trained you all well and that they have made strong hiring decisions. Maybe they believe in helping to build confidence in the team through autonomy. Maybe the reason it seems odd that they do it for some is that they came from environments where they were micromanaged. 

Jul 10, 16 2:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: