Archinect
anchor

What do we need to know when graduating a b.arch program?

thedukeofbulls

Context: I'm transferring into my third year at a school in Los Angeles, which is where I plan to continue building my practice.

The title asks the root of my question. With the intention of becoming an architect and starting one's own firm, when coming out of school, what should one know when seeking initial employment? The main crux of this is that I see in portfolios a lack of construction documentation, which makes some sense, but should we be able to put together construction docs when graduating?

I would particularly be interested in what employers have to say about this and what their position is in hiring a recent b.arch grad who wants to get their license. 

Thank you.

Jun 19, 16 4:01 pm

You will have zero employable skills when you graduate. This is how it should be. The point of your education is not to prepare you for a job, but to prepare you for creating your own career.

Jun 19, 16 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

Knowing what you don't know, and being super-motivated to find it out.

Jun 19, 16 5:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: