Archinect
anchor

Summer Vacays

Wilma Buttfit

Where is everyone going for summer vacation (or holiday as they say in the UK)? I have 3 trips planned. Making up for a few years of doing nothing much at all:

June: RVing in Southern California with some friends for a long weekend. 

August: Family fishing trip in the North woods of Wisconsin. 

September: Renting a beachhouse, Outer Banks, North Carolina. 

Any architectures near these areas I shouldn't miss? Food places that anyone can recommend?

Jun 2, 16 11:27 am
I'm going to the Lofoten Islands and Trondheim in Norway and to Reykjavik and the Golden Circle in Iceland the last two weeks of September.
Jun 2, 16 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

We close between Xmas and New Year.  While that's wonderful,l it means only one week of vacay available for summer.

August: Beach house, Ocean City NJ.

Just did a quick 2 1/2 day trip to Colonial Williamsburg last weekend.  One the way back, I drove on to Chincoteague.  No offense to the Outer Banks people, but I'll take the OCNJ beaches any time.

I would love to do another RV trip to the Redwoods or Yosemite.  We did a Grand Canyon / Bryce / Zion trip a couple of years ago.  Fantastic.  Bryce was best.  Great hike up the river at Zion.

Josh; live up the European vacations while you can...

Jun 2, 16 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Only one week? Ouch.

I've got a tentative 2-week New England / Old England trip in August (parents in Boston, friends in Edinburgh and Stockholm) that I need to hurry up and get flights for. 

On the local scale, I'm trying to go camping or backpacking with my girlfriend as much as possible, twice a month outside at least. Gotta enjoy this weather while it's here.

Jun 2, 16 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Vietnam this saturday, Morocco august/sep and probably Edinburgh + Liverpool somewhere in between.

Jun 2, 16 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Bali, leaving next week. Haven't had a proper holiday in many, many years. I might just not come back.

Jun 2, 16 8:37 pm  · 
 · 
arch76

Becky-

rent a bike and ride the beach road around Nags Head to see the old school pseudo craftsman, weathered-shingle beach houses fronting the ocean- there are quite a few awesome ones intermixed in the newer construction.

Outer banks is awesome beach- it feels like the end of the earth sitting on the beach with only the dunes at your back and no large condos or hotels...

Jun 3, 16 1:04 am  · 
 · 

thanks arch. I've never been to North Carolina. My brother in law is renting a house and all I have to do is show up. We are flying into Charlotte and driving, does that make sense?  I don't even know. Maybe the drive is good? Thanks for the suggestion, I'll do that. 

Jun 4, 16 9:56 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

Sequoia national forest in July!  It's been an obsession since childhood to explore the giant redwoods...For one reason or another I haven't made it out there yet...can't wait!

Jun 4, 16 10:23 am  · 
 · 
liamevans

I'm going to spend my summer in Europe, the first country I'd like to visit will be Estonia (http://tripity.eu) to try segway tours (http://tripity.eu/tour/old-town-segway-tour/)

Jun 23, 16 7:19 am  · 
 · 
good details

Only plan thus far is renting an NSX and driving around Mt.Fuji.

Jun 23, 16 7:36 am  · 
 · 

Becky,

Shrimp and Grits.

You might go to Kitty Hawk just to say you have been there.

Jun 23, 16 8:18 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Vacation? What's that?

Jun 23, 16 10:46 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

busy as hell, plenty of money and options to go on vacation, but no time - plus trying to sync college schedule with high school schedule doesn't work at all; on top of that, in-laws coming to visit for 8 weeks starting tomorrow. vacation will be a wooden box with nice satin inside.

Jun 23, 16 10:50 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Becky, Fly into Raleigh Durham airport (RDU) or Norfolk, VA., (ORF), much shorter drive from each to the OBX. Might be able to get a commuter flight into Wilmington, NC (ILM), and be even closer.

Jun 23, 16 10:56 am  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Just got back from a whirlwind tour of chy town and mil-ay-wau-kee... algonquin for.. the good land. Almost peed myself standing on the glass floor of the willis tower... of course there was a teenager jumping on it Saw the robie house in hyde park.. amazing. After driving by it a thousand times, visited the Jewelry box bank by sullivan in grinell ia. Also very cool. Tintt... are you driving to wisconsin. Not north woods, but if you can stop by taliesin, very cool. Chicago river architecture boat tour is awesome if you can make it. FLW is a lot like phish in my opinion. Albums are no good, but the live shows are amazing.

Jun 23, 16 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

volunteer, that makes sense. I think we are flying into Charlotte because my brother in law works there sometimes. I guess we'll see more scenery that way too. He will drive, I'll chill. Anything in Charlotte?

wurdan, yes will probably drive, yes, fun stuff. First to Milwaukee... maybe. I don't know. I have been to Taliesan and a few other FLW spots in Wisconsin. I've never been to the north woods though, so it will all be new to me. Good that you got to see the Robie house and I personally really love that bank in Grinnell too. 

California trip was great. Stayed for 9 days instead of just a few.

Jun 23, 16 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

On my boat and at my beach house, as usual.

Jun 23, 16 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Riding the rat to Denver & Seattle got some piracy afoot.
Jun 26, 16 7:56 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

Aspen / Moab in July

Provence / Barcelona / Finale Ligure in September

Whistler every day!

Jun 27, 16 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

tintt, drop me a line if you do Chicago/ Milwaukee.

I am always down to show people around Chicago/ make recommendations/ meet for drinks. There are some really great new buildings in Wisconsin.

Jun 27, 16 3:04 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: