Archinect
anchor

Advice on letting a firm know you've had job offers

kellycase1982

So I'm applying to jobs up in Seattle and I have an offer from one firm. It's certainly not my first choice but it is a job and a foot in the door so that's positive. 

The firm I WOULD like to work for, I interviewed with a few weeks back and all my interactions with them have been positive so far. They are slammed for work and people have taken vacations in that time as well. They have not made any hiring decisions at the moment but I can't sit around and wait forever. 

Whats the best way to approach them and let them know I've been offered employment but would much rather work for them.

I don't want it to sound like an ultimatum but at the same time I would like to let them know that if I would need to know rather quickly. . 

May 24, 16 1:47 pm
quizzical

This is, I believe, a slippery slope for you. On the one hand, firms generally don't like to be pressured about hiring decisions -- they generally will move at their own pace and make decisions based on their own criteria. On the other hand, I've always regretted past situations when I have called a candidate to offer a job, only to learn that the candidate accepted another decision a few days earlier.

Perhaps you could take a clue about how to proceed based on the type of communications you've had with the firm since your interview. If they've been friendly and open about follow-up inquiries, then perhaps they'd be receptive to a well-worded approach outlining what you state above. However, if they've been stand-offish or distant about follow-up inquiries, then perhaps you should refrain from such contact.

Maybe you could buy a bit more time from the firm that issued you an offer -- could you just tell them you need x-amount of time before you can make a decision about their kind offer. Or, are they pressuring you to accept?

Good luck.

May 24, 16 2:48 pm  · 
 · 

How long (exactly) has it been since the firm (the one you would like to work for) contacted you?

May 24, 16 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
gdub

either 

A

Even though it's not recommended, you can always take the first offer then pull out prior to starting. If you are going to call the preferred company and don't want to pressure them, you could politely ask how much longer they think they will need to select a candidate and explain that you are still very interested in working there.

If they aren't willing to give you a firm answer then you could mention that, as expected you are also looking at other positions, and that you are getting close to the offer stage to see if they might at least give you a better idea. Or, as mentioned above you could go with just casually asking and if worse comes to worse, bail on the first job. Either way, you will soon realize that the architecture world is very small and you don't want to burn any bridges. You will likely run into their staff at industry events and never know what may come up or happen in the future.

Jun 3, 16 3:25 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: