Archinect
anchor

"I'll work the first month free, and you can fire me if you don't like my work"

tduds

If someone offered me the "80% for now" option I'd probably try to get 120% of what I originally wanted to be paid, just to be safe.

May 11, 16 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
Jamb'd

That is pretty one-sided deal.  Not only does the employee take a job with no job security, they get paid 20% less than what they are worth.

The job in theory is temporary.  Why not just pay 100% of the salary for those three months?  It does sound like you are being cheap.

Then comes the obvious question, why does it take 3 months to judge an employee's ability/worth?  Couldn't that be determined in 2 weeks or a month at most?

May 11, 16 3:49 pm  · 
 · 

If not employed as an independent contractor, nearly all architecture employment in the US is at-will employment anyway, so you can be let go at any point, for no reason other than, "We're letting you go. Don't bother coming back next week."

So a 3-month trial period, or whatever else it might be called, is really just a way of saying, "We'll have a performance review (if we remember) after 3 months." It doesn't take a performance review to let someone go. Getting paid 80% for that period of time is nothing more than the employee saying, "I don't think I'm valuable for the first 3 months ... feel free to exploit me."

May 11, 16 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

Sounds like an interest free loan from the successful employee.  If your client proposed giving you 80% of your fee with a promise to bump it up after completion if he, at his sole discretion, thinks a bonus (which is what it is) is merited, would you take the deal?  

May 11, 16 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
Vendetta

SpatialSojourner >> its true.

Many firms in Japan dont pay you for intern. or 3-6 first months when probation period. 

May 11, 16 9:56 pm  · 
 · 

Some people can square any circle.

May 11, 16 10:05 pm  · 
 · 

Sounds to me like the firm has a high turnover rate and the incoming employees are paying the unemployment insurance for the outgoing employees.

May 11, 16 10:25 pm  · 
 · 
AbdElrahman SharfAdDin

That's so sad

May 13, 16 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
gdub

Leaves - where were you during the US recession in 2007/2008 and after? Obviously not a member of Archinect. Working for free was very common at that time and was very sad. Many of us are trying to remember that our profession ever went there or that firms were ever allowed to get away with having slaves working for free in their firms.

NOtJones - Don't do it. You deserve more. Any time any one of us chooses to work for free, we tell other firms that it is ok to treat us like that. You are better than that. I get it that you want to work there but be authentic. I wrote Shigaru Ban's office when I was in university and they actually wrote back and encouraged me to apply with them. I never did for various reasons but that's besides the point. My only advice to you, is to get inspired by people who do rad, authentic different things to stand out. If you want to get a job which you think is a long shot, first ask yourself why you belief that it's a long shot and learn to reprogram your mind to believe you will get hired. Then act and read articles and find out about others who did unique different things to make others feel special and to stand out so they could get the job. Personality is a big reason why people get hired. If you have an awesome personality but maybe perceive that you were a little lost during college and have a weak portfolio, find other ways to stand out. I believe in you. You can do anything you put your mind to, stop the self hate and focus on creating and acting on your dreams.

Jun 3, 16 4:27 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: