Archinect
anchor

LOL at Nevada rant

x-jla

I made a day trip to Nevada to visit a friend.  I was expecting amazing residential landscapes since it is illegal in the state to practice as a residential landscape designer (sarcasm).  Yes, in Nevada landscape architects are required for residential gardens to protect the public and shit.  Contractors can also design what they build.  Well, despite the stupid protectionist regs the landscape is atrocious compared to neighboring states that lack such authoritarian regimes.  Id like to do a formal study, but out of 20 homes I counted 15 with ridiculously large lawns and non-Xeric plants.  That seems to be the average throughout the areas I viewed.  Suck my balls you Useless slugs at the Nevada board of landscape architects!  Talking about ball sucking, that's legal for a fee in Nevada as long as you don't refer to yourself as a landscape designer in the process.  

Apr 7, 16 11:00 am
x-jla

Oh yeah....I also discovered that "Professional Building Designer" is a protected title in Nevada with a legal status to design homes and light commercial.  Maybe Balkins can move there...

Apr 7, 16 11:03 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

How hard is it to design a sand-box in the desert?

Apr 7, 16 11:11 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

to what extent do you suppose your biases effect your judgement and outlook in this situation?

Apr 7, 16 11:14 am  · 
 · 
Janosh

Whether designed by architects, building designers (whatever that is) or contractors, 99% of new single family residential construction is terrible.  Licensure is about life safety, liability and professional responsibility which only becomes important at larger scales.

Apr 7, 16 11:18 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

ew, nevada.

Apr 7, 16 11:20 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

https://vendangeandvoyage.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/prison.gif

that's what I remember most of Nevada

Apr 7, 16 11:29 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

Curt, none.  The average condition in AZ, CO, etc where landscape design for all residential work is perfectly legal, is far better. LAs generally do not serve residential clients.  Landscape designers working independently or as subs for design/build firms and serve 99% of the markets. There is no good reason for such authoritarian regs, and by the looks of it they have a negative effect on the quality of the built / natural environment (which is what upsets me most).  I'm guessing that this is mainly due to the fact that contractors are forced to design stuff in NV since designers are illegal and architects are busy working on silly fountains in Vegas.  The most pervasive condition is being ignored and solutions are being legally stifled.  merica! 

Apr 7, 16 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

You cannot legislate relevance. Practice laws pretending to be about HSW simply force folks who can't afford architectural services to either build garbage that can be designed by exempt charlatans or not build at all.

When only monied interests can afford design, the majority of our built environment will be fuck ugly and inhospitable.

Apr 7, 16 12:11 pm  · 
 · 

Talking about ball sucking, that's legal for a fee in Nevada as long as you don't refer to yourself as a landscape designer in the process.  

This made me LOL loud enough my co-workers asked what was up. I had to wave them off.

Apr 7, 16 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Haha.  

Operator: 911 what's your emergency?

Prostitute: I was sucking this guys balls for 80 bucks and he declared that he was a landscape designer. 

Operator:  was he holding himself out to be qualified to practice landscape design?

Prostitute: yeah, I guess...it was hard to tell with a mouth full of balls. 

Operator: We will send a squad car immediatly. 

Prostitute: hurry, I think I saw some  prisma color markers in his pocket.  

Apr 7, 16 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^Brilliant.

Apr 7, 16 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

All states in the southwest including California - especially LA, are guilty of the same practices.  If you wiped out development in LA it would go back to tumbleweed desert. Ever check out the lawns and landscaping in Beverly hills or any hoity toity party of LA?  Fucking Joke.  All of that water is imported - owens valley and the colorado river.  At least Vegas is at the source of the water they are wasting.  

Apr 7, 16 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

Sort of.  It's not like the water that's in Lake Mead falls there - it's conveyed from across a 1000 mile basin and had the misfortune of passing close to the site of a future and enormous city whose per resident water consumption is between 2 and 3 times that of Los Angeles.  Visit the dessicated former estuary where the Colorado used to flow into the gulf of California and tell me that Las Vegas isn't stealing water from somewhere else. 

Apr 7, 16 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

what happens in vegas stays in vegas - especially water from the colorado river.

Apr 7, 16 6:18 pm  · 
 · 

jla-x,

Yep. I would offer a path for residential designers in other states to become licensed in nevada to their board but they probably don't give a fuck about my opinion.

For example: Take a certification like NCBDC certification, become certified and practice for say 6 years (AFTER certification) with at least 15 hours a week (with possible submission of plans, letters of verification, and other supporting information to verify the years of experience and active experience.)

I suggest 6 years of post certification (caveat... maintaining certification would be required) as a means of covering any issue where a person may somehow have less than 5 FULL-TIME years of education/experience that is minimally required license in Nevada. Those with NCBDC certification would have to take the Nevada exam vs. the current reciprocity route for architects.

Sure, a little hurdle but okay. At least a path. 

As I said in the first paragraph, the Nevada Board probably doesn't give a fuck about my opinion. 

As for the residential landscape design, I concur.

I may support some regulation but it got to be workable and fair beyond their borders because there sure the hell isn't likely to be any Nevada Registered Residential Designers in states like Maine and doubtful i Washington or most parts of Oregon. I don't live in that part of Oregon next to Nevada.

Apr 7, 16 9:20 pm  · 
 · 
Flatfish

Nevada does not require landscape architects for residential gardens.  A landscape architect is required for landscape projects associated with commercial buildings, but not for single-family residential.  I think you're confusing this idea with the fact that the title "Residential Landscape Architect" cannot be used by those who don't hold a landscape architecture license. That's not the same thing as requiring a license to design a residential garden.

Apr 7, 16 9:33 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

http://nsbla.nv.gov/Forms/FAQs/

Apr 7, 16 10:47 pm  · 
 · 
Flatfish

That FAQ doesn't say that residential gardens must be designed by landscape architects.  Neither do the rules or laws.  There's no requirement for any plans to be submitted for residential gardens, so anybody can design them, as long as they don't call themselves a landscape architect.  Licensed landscape architects are required for projects on which landscape plans must be submitted.

Apr 7, 16 10:55 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Can you site that?

Apr 7, 16 11:41 pm  · 
 · 

So we're not dicking around:

http://www.leg.state.nv.us/nrs/nrs-623a.html

Most specifically, this is the authorized statutory exemption:

NRS 623A.070  Applicability.

1.  This chapter does not apply to:

(a) Owners of property who make plans, specifications or drawings for their own property.

(b) Any person engaged in the practice of architecture who is registered pursuant to the provisions of chapter 623 of NRS.

(c) A contractor licensed pursuant to the provisions of chapter 624 of NRS who provides his or her own drawings for his or her own construction activities.

(d) Any person who is licensed as a civil engineer pursuant to the provisions of chapter 625 of NRS.

(e) Any person who designs, manufactures or sells irrigation equipment and provides instructions pertaining to the mechanical erection and installation of the equipment but does not install the equipment.

2.  Any person exempted by the provisions of this section is not thereby absolved from any civil or criminal liability that might otherwise accrue.

3.  The exemptions provided by this section do not entitle any person who does not hold a certificate of registration or certificate to practice as a landscape architect intern to hold himself or herself out to the public or advertise himself or herself as a landscape architect or a landscape architect intern.

(Added to NRS by 1975, 1469; A 1995, 10491997, 10372001, 502)

NRS 623A.055  “Landscape architect intern” defined.  “Landscape architect intern” means a person who is issued a certificate to practice as a landscape architect intern pursuant to the provisions of this chapter.

As for the licensing process, it is poorly written and it's hard to even know what application or forms needed to get authorization to test. It's almost easier to get licensed in other states and then get licensed in Nevada via reciprocity. 

I am still unclear about the Landscape architect intern and what they are allowed to do and what they are not.

Apr 8, 16 12:14 am  · 
 · 

The small font hurts the eyes. 

Apr 8, 16 12:15 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

*cite

Apr 8, 16 12:22 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Yep. I would offer a path for residential designers in other states to become licensed in nevada to their board but they probably don't give a fuck about my opinion - Yes Rick, yes, no one cares..................................The handling of balls is a very delicate task, I would absolutely expect certification, gardens not so much.

Apr 8, 16 6:44 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Why happened to the ball foundling discussion?
Apr 8, 16 7:42 am  · 
 · 
Aluminate

I used to work in Nevada, and concur with 5839.  There aren't any requirements to submit plans for permits for most types of landscape projects for single family residential - so there isn't any oversight over who does landscape plans for residential clients. I've seen residential clients have landscape drawings done by everyone from their feng shui consultant to their septic designer. As long as they're not calling themselves "landscape architect" the powers that be couldn't care less.  The board doesn't take on complaints against people drawing gardens for homeowners.

As for the Registered Residential Designers: this always seemed to be just a way for the state to restrict design of residential projects to architects, but without saying so.  They were trying years ago to adopt restrictions similar to New York's - i.e. any building, including all houses over 1500 sf, needs an architect, period - but that didn't sit well with constituents, so they added the convoluted "Residential Designer" category as a compromise.  There are only 150 or so residential designers so the whole thing is a token effort to appear not overly restrictive.

Apr 8, 16 11:01 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

Well, the way the rules are written are not very clear then.  

Apr 8, 16 11:07 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: