Archinect
anchor

Looking for a verb that would describe turning of the heat in a building long-term

annikaeriksson-lindberg

Hi!

I'm writing a paper for my master thesis and I'm looking for a verb or a term describing when you consciously turn off the heat in a building as a result of it not being used anymore, and because it would be too costly to keep it running. There is a word for it in Swedish which is "kallställa" which would literally be translated to "cold set", but I can't find an equivalent word in English.

All help appreciated,

Annika the architecture student

Mar 23, 16 1:31 pm
SneakyPete

Winterization.

Mar 23, 16 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
annikaeriksson-lindberg

Thanks!

Mar 23, 16 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
Wellllll I thought when you winterize, you and shutting down everything, mechanical and water? You winterize so pipes don't freeze.
Mar 23, 16 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I'm assuming the student understands the detrimental effects of turning off the heat without draining the pipes (at a minimum).

Mar 23, 16 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

What kind of structures, often of a very advanced design, cannot be winterized?

Mar 23, 16 8:17 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Do tell.

Mar 23, 16 8:19 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Hard to turn off inflatable structures.
Mar 23, 16 8:25 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

A lot of backcountry ski huts don't have running water so no pipes to freeze, and turning off the heat means not putting another log in the fireplace or wood stove. Some are starting to get solar panels though.

Mar 24, 16 7:54 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Turning off the heat, is that not what sleazy landlords to when the rent isn't paid?

Mar 24, 16 8:26 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: