Archinect
anchor

Technology Consulting

fourier

I have worked for event production companies for about ten years as a sound engineer, designing, tuning, and operating sound systems. I've also done installations for schools and theaters (about 10% of the total time). I've noticed a few things about audio systems for new buildings and renovations that I would like to get some architectural perspective on.

Frequently sound system specifications for auditoriums and other locations that need more than simple paging, like sports fields, read like they were written by someone without a lot of experience using or designing these systems. For example an auditorium that will be used for musical theater has 70V speakers and amps specified. Or a sports field is equipped solely with horn loaded speakers whose frequency response covers the vocal band only, which is fine for announcements but any sort of music sounds like garbage. The production companies I have worked for have made a good deal of money installing or renting new systems after the original installation just doesn't do what the client wants.

I'm sure that a lot of this is driven by cost, and there are a number of consultancies out there that do a great job designing and specifying sound and AV systems when the money and care is there. In other cases it seems like the systems are designed in concert with other low voltage trades like security and installed by electrical contractors and not tuned or maintained, or supported by anybody.

Is there a market out there among architects and possibly engineers, for someone with specific knowledge and experience with professional audio systems as a design consultant for theaters, auditoriums, sports fields, etc? Would someone who could do a thorough needs analysis, design a system, prepare specs for bidding, recommend qualified contractors, review submittals, and ensure the system is properly installed be valuable to A/E firms?

Your thoughts and experiences are much appreciated.

Jan 27, 16 9:59 am
Non Sequitur

Yes there is.

We hire acoustic consultants all the time.

Jan 27, 16 10:10 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Loads and worked with some who were designing a ceiling in a theatre for a bank.

Jan 27, 16 10:47 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: