Archinect
anchor

interview questions - management positions

arantiacus

Should an employer divulge fee structure of past projects to allow potential candidates to gauge how office resources are spent? I'm interviewing soon and have a bad feeling that the target firm low balls to get work. This is important to me. A good fee can support: quality staff, hardware/software, office space...not to mention a reasonable project timeline for deliverables.

Jan 27, 16 12:29 am
Carrera

Maybe in Cuba

Jan 27, 16 1:47 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Don't do it if you don't like the companies working methodology.

Jan 27, 16 2:16 am  · 
 · 
3tk

Most likely they won't - but you can ask how they pursue projects and what criteria are valuable to them; then read between the lines.  Speaking to past employees and clients can be helpful too.  Books usually aren't opened until you're looking at equity in the firm.

Jan 27, 16 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

They won't, but I like your thinking - if a firm is dripping in cash you can have cupcakes and be a dilettante do nothing.

Jan 27, 16 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Employees are not investors and 99% of firms are private for a reason. Understand your thinking, but I’m not pulling my pants down for a ball check for anybody. Just do the normal ask-around, follow 3tk.

Jan 27, 16 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
stone

arantiacus - "A good fee can support: quality staff, hardware/software, office space...not to mention a reasonable project timeline for deliverables."

Rather than asking directly about fees (which probably will make the firm uncomfortable) formulate questions designed to obtain information about these aspects of the firm's operations. Then, draw your own conclusions.

Also, if you can, determine if you know anybody already at the firm (or formerly at the firm) and question these individuals privately about the matters that concern you.

Jan 27, 16 1:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: