Archinect
anchor

Any chance of being an architect?

ma.s

Hi all,

I'm looking for suggestions on how to get back into architecture after a 7 year break. I have a M.Arch from an Ivy, but very little experience (maybe a year and a half total). I graduated in '08 but quickly lost my job due to the economic collapse. I've since gotten married and had three children, but find myself missing architecture and ready to get back to work. I have freelanced a little, but mostly drafting for interior designers. I did manage to pass all the ARE exams but still need the IDP hours.

Any suggestions on how to get back into it, or is it too late? It seems unlikely that I could get hired for an entry level position where I would be competing with new graduates who have fresher skills and fewer family commitments.

Thanks.

Jan 25, 16 5:04 pm
senjohnblutarsky

There is always a chance.  You may have to take whatever you can get, though.  Having passed all the exams is probably a plus.  It shows some initiative.

Just to ease getting back into work, I'd be refreshing my knowledge of production software and current building standards.  Things have changed a bit in the last 7 years. (this won't help you get a job, but once you do, may aid in keeping it.)

Jan 25, 16 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

No!  Just kidding, Yes of course!  Don't underplay the freelance thing.  You didn't "freelance a little", you worked several interior designers on a contract basis.  Make it sound good.  

Jan 25, 16 5:33 pm  · 
 · 

The good news is this is currently the best market for architects in about a decade. I assume you haven't been working in a related field for the past seven years?

Depending on your location, I don't think you will have much difficulty finding a position. As I am sure you are aware, the issue is that it will be an entry level role with the commensurate salary. This may be a concern if your income is supporting a family of five. 

Have you tried reaching out to former professors and other architects in your network? I am sure if you explain your situation they will be more than willing to put in a good word for you.

I would suggest trying to find some kind of part time gig that you can use to build up experience without quitting your day job. After a year or two, take that experience to go full time at the same office or leverage it to find a better position elsewhere. 

As for applications this article might be helpful for you:
3 Tips to Get An Architecture Job With No Experience

Good luck!
Brandon

Jan 26, 16 12:52 am  · 
 · 

First, I would suggest brushing up on your software skills via online tutorials (e.g. www.lynda.com).  Specifically the revit tutorial series would be valuable.

There are also many ways of getting IDP hours now that NCARB has made some changes to their policies. It is possible that some of your freelance work can be recorded, and you can gain lots of IDP hours through Emerging Professionals Companion (http://epcompanion.org/). Check the NCARB site for more "non-traditional" ways of getting IDP hours.

Ultimately your portfolio will be a key factor in a firms decision to hire you. Spend some time crafting a portfolio that shows that your design skills are still relevant.

Finally, don't underestimate the value of having passed all of your exams. Any firm that is looking to hire someone who will soon be licensed will see that you are almost guaranteed to become licensed if they give you the IDP hours. They also will not have to spend money reimbursing you for exam fees like they may for other applicants. If you are serious about making architecture your career than I think it is important for you to consider taking any job you can get for a firm you are interested in working for (even if it is the lowest paying). Once you prove yourself they will quickly move you up.

Good luck!

Jan 26, 16 9:27 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Is it actually possible to get a architecture gig without a portfolio though? If I were ever wanting to go back to architecture could I land one without any design work at all?

Jan 26, 16 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

Most architectural gigs involved little or no design, regardless of the promises made in the interview process.  If you can demonstrate skill in other areas of practice, use that to gain entry.  Detailing, CA, construction documents, specs, codes, marketing, etc.  The important thing is to convince the interviewer you can do something economically valuable to the firm.  Design is highly over rated even though it is what everyone thinks they want to do.  IMHO.

Jan 26, 16 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

detailing, CA, specs, and codes all require some sort of measurable experience don't they?

Jan 26, 16 12:45 pm  · 
 · 

Archiwutm8 - It really depends on the firm and what your interests are. A portfolio does not have to have beautiful renderings of buildings you designed. If you just want to get into a firm doing CAD work or CA then some examples of work you did in AutoCAD or Revit would be good. If you plan on eventually designing something one day, which it seems like OP does judging on the fact that they are on a path towards licensure, then you should be continually working to improve your portfolio.  Having an impressive portfolio will prove your ability to participate in the process of design. When you are applying to jobs you should research what the firm's design culture is like, do a studio visit, and look at their portfolio. You will quickly gain a sense of what "actual" tasks you will be doing if you are offered the job. If you are passionate about architecture than you will find a way to participate that satisfies your interests.

Jan 26, 16 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

It's reassuring to know if I ever get bored of money I could go back to being a junior architect.

Jan 26, 16 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Start your own practice. Begin small, work your way up. Read a ton about pro practice. Do projects that don't require licensure. Use that to build your portfolio. Then decide if working at a firm in order to gain the "direct supervision" is even worth it to you. After all, it's just a title, and unless you want to design buildings AS an architect (as opposed to FOR an architect) you may never need to get licensed.

That's my advice.

Jan 26, 16 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

The OP's year and a half of experience may be in those areas I mentioned.  It isn't clear from the post.  After a seven year absence from the profession, he/she will need to demonstrate a willingness to work on things that aren't necessarily glamorous.  Every fresh out of school twit thinks they are the next Frank Gehry.  OP needs to stand out from the competition.  A mature attitude compared to the kids will go a long way.

Jan 26, 16 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
DeTwan

I think anything is possible, but just from my experience it is going to be a very steep and long climb. Like gezz mentioned, you will need to convince your employer that you can be profitable to the company immediately. This means being able to draft at a fast pace in Revit and AutoCAD, having good understanding of building technology and construction, and some basic code knowledge. The market is saturated with folks like you (OP). Not trying to be degrading, it is just the reality of the situation. It is very hard to find a well encompassing 'architect' in the field for reasonable compensation for several factors.

Reason 1. In all honesty there are very few well paying opening positions in the industry. Much like global economics, the wealth of the industry sits in a very small percentage of ppl that actually make the architect engine run. Most of the industries gas runs on spells of uber growth followed by uber shrinkage in ever coming ebbs and flows based in global economy growth. Also, the magnanimous zeitgeist of being some great architect continually drives young upper middle class citizens to literally dump tons of money (academia) into hoping to be an architect  some day. Doing so instills a drive of mentality in these ppl that is, "I can never give up on my dream" or "I must pursue this dream bc it is my love/destiny/calling", or once you have been in the industry for sometime but still a bottom sucking cad monkey making less than $50k you start saying..."I do it for the passion not the money". The slave mentality runs deeeeep!!!

Reason 2. There is a reason that it has been increasingly hard to find competent ppl in the the industry. The ebb and flow of recessions and downturns have seriously bucked/soured anyone that might want to participate in the industry. Imagine working in the industry for 15-20 years and being in your mid 40s, with 2-3 children, and within that time seeing 2-3 downturns and one very serious recession. It is a real kick in the balls every time your job is on the line, your income shrinks, your bills skyrocket. If the first downturn doesn't put butterflies in your stomach, try a wave of them. And economic volatility is not expected to cease anytime soon.

Reason 3. Is basically spawned by one and two. No one wants to work in the industry once you see the reality of it. It is much easier to make just as much in a non related field, and then my reasoning for leaving. "It is better to be poor and happy than poor and sad". And let me tell you, architecture will make you sad. Designing is 1% of your job. The person that hired you will do most of the 'designing'. Your days will consist of moving lines directed thur redlines, code research, email writing, your boss constantly needing you to finish this before the day is over, print this, redline that, readjust this...it suxs. Therefore it leave a cesspool of naïve inexperienced individual all vying for low paying positions, It makes it hard for people hiring in the industry to justify hiring one good architect with experience, when they can get 3-4 cad monks for the same price. 

Jan 26, 16 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
ma.s

Thanks everyone for your encouraging responses. I should mention that I haven't worked at all (except for the freelance jobs) in seven years. I think it is hard to get a job in any industry with that resume gap but I have tried to keep my skills somewhat up to date through some online classes and studying for ARE. My next steps will be to try to network a little and update my portfolio. I will also try to learn Revit. Thank you Brandon and Daniel for the links!

Jan 26, 16 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
DeTwan

Sneakypetes advice is more or less a pipe dream without built projects and substantial industry knowledge and ins. I really don't see an ivy league graduate designing decks. Your best bet is to start visiting you rich parents friend with 15year aged scotch weekly and getting cozy with'em, and start talking to them about their pipe dreams.

Sadly, his advice is probably the only way to being truly satisfied in this industry.  

Jan 26, 16 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

very few well paying opening positions

My first thought when the OP asked his original question was:  "What kind of car do you drive and how much is your mortgage payment?"

That will answer your question...

Jan 26, 16 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

ma.s - The good thing is that firms are very busy right now, perhaps you can call up some old friends and see if you can come in at a fairly low rate while you get up to speed?

Don't worry too much about DeTwan, he unfortunately had some really bad experiences which I don't think are the norm

Jan 26, 16 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

It is a pipe dream, perhaps. I have yet to find the intestinal fortitude to put my money where my mouth is, so I cannot say for sure.

I talked with a lady who, due to personal connections, got her start doing kitchen renovations for wealthy(ish) friends. She then went to a local architect and horse traded freelance work for experience. She was in this way building up her portfolio, client list, and getting real experience at the same time. She made the architect that was hiring her freelance happy by tossing them clients who wanted scope larger than she could provide. We didn't get into whether she got paid.

Jan 26, 16 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
DeTwan

shuellmi, economic volatility is at a zeith, and global growth is at an all time low.

A lot of firms that wanted to hire at the begeinnng of the year are second guessing it bc of this volatility (stockmarket/china/gas surplus). That is how quick things change in this industry.

Remember, ppl that hire want to keep ppl on board, no one wants to hire with the threat that all your projects funds just went down the hole and I just hired ppl...

Jan 26, 16 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

^  Yeah, right, ignore DeTwan.  Why let the truth spoil a good pipe dream.

Jan 26, 16 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
DeTwan

They wont say that for fear of sounding 'fearful'. They'll keep their job postings up, but watch, no one is hiring now... once/if the stockmarket can smooth out in the next coming months they may hire, but trust me. anyone whom has half a brain and a heart are not looking to hire atm. 

Jan 26, 16 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

OP was out for seven years after working 1.5 years after graduation.  Probably pushing mid-thirties by my calculation.  With a spouse and three kids, unless your spouse is a high earner or you are trustfunders, the math here is not good.  Just "missing" architecture is really not a good enough rationale.  Don't say you weren't warned.

Jan 26, 16 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

GO FOR IT!! YOU PASSED ALL THE A.R.E. test you just put as much distance your self and recent grads as I have between my vote and Donald trump. But definitely be prepared to make slightly above entry level pay for the next 2-3 yrs or so. things will be tight financially, but hell its worth it :-D

God Speed!!!!

Jan 26, 16 3:54 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: