Archinect
anchor

Need help identifying type of hinge

tudor revival

I am restoring a 1917 Tudor Revival home and found a pair of these hinges in a box in the basement. They are large. The center piece is 4" tall. I have not been able to find anything like them online. Thanks for any help!

Jan 20, 16 4:42 pm
Carrera

Tough one, looks like something bifold.

Jan 20, 16 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
tudor revival

Yes, thanks for the reply. It is stamped Chicago...

Jan 20, 16 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

this is small, like for cabinet hardware or maybe a desk?  and i assume the pieces that screw to the door or leaf are missing?

Jan 20, 16 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Maybe for shutters

Jan 20, 16 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
tudor revival

all the hardware in the house is the same japanned metal so I'm thinking it went to something in the house. the kitchen was redone years ago so maybe there was something in there that these went to. i'd sure love to find another instance of these and how they were used.I have to admit I don't really understand bifold hinges. what are they used for?

Jan 20, 16 5:13 pm  · 
 · 

Interesting find. You should send it to Lori Greene over at http://idighardware.com/ and see if she knows anything. If she doesn't, she probably knows some people that would, or someone reading her blog would know.

Jan 20, 16 5:14 pm  · 
 · 

That was my original thought Carrera, but I'd suspect that these aren't large enough when it comes to windows and shutters.

Jan 20, 16 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Shutters bi fold and were common in kitchens

Jan 20, 16 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

Is the center piece set up like it recesses into something?  What does the back side look like? 

Jan 20, 16 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
tudor revival

they are large when laid flat measure 8" across and the middle piece is 4" tall. The house never had shutters though. I'll try Lori Greene also. Thank you! I'd post a pic of the house but can't figure out how to attach a photo to a reply....

Jan 20, 16 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
tudor revival

the pic is of the back side. I would say the center piece is not really recessed

Jan 20, 16 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

is there an architectural salvage shop nearby?  They may be able to help

Jan 21, 16 11:27 am  · 
 · 
tudor revival

That is a good idea There is an awesome one nearby run by great people. Here is a link to their website:

http://www.bearlymakinitantiques.com/meander-the-mill.html

Thanks!

Jan 21, 16 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Pretty sure it is a double-acting door hinge that allows the door to be opened either way. The rectangular part with the two holes is screwed to the door jamb with the "Chicago" face shown toward the wood. The flat plates on the upper left and lower right are then folded over the front face of the rectangular part. When this is done the upper and lower hinge lines on either side of the rectangular piece are in alignment. The  door is attached by screwing plates (not shown) to either side of the door and attaching the door with pins to the end of the plates that were folded underneath. When the door is opened inward the inward pivot about the pins come into play and when outward the outward pivots are used.

Jan 21, 16 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
tudor revival

That is great information! Thank you. There is a swinging door between the dining room and kitchen but that one has pivot hinges. 

Jan 21, 16 7:56 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Jan 21, 16 9:10 pm  · 
 · 
tudor revival

LOL!!!!

Jan 22, 16 8:51 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: