Archinect
anchor

Immersive Multimedia and Design Communication.

Kean Hwa Yap

Hi, I am studying my final year of Interior Architecture in Nottingham Trent University. I am currently conducting my final year research project with the topic on how Immersive Multimedia improves design communication. It would be great if I can include some professional opinions from the industry. The opinions would provide me with an excellent basis upon which to form my report. 

I have developed an online survey regarding to how immersive multimedia improves the communication between the design team and the construction team. If you could please spend some time for answering my questionnaire as thoroughly as you can. 

The link of my questionnaire is as below:

http://goo.gl/forms/hu5ObS3gD9

I would really appreciate for any help, advice or research you can offer me. 

Thank you.

Jan 8, 16 11:56 am

"Do you think Immersive Multimedia can improve the understanding of the forms and spaces for both clients and the design team? Why?"

"Improve" is a tricky word. Yes, I do think it could help, but I don't see it being as useful as other (simpler) means of communication. In a rendering, you can work on a specific scene and get the details perfect because you're only detailing one piece of the project. In order for an AR environment to be a convincing means of representing interiors you'd have to model the entire space with the same level of detail. Potentially very time-consuming.  Rendering or animation might allow you control what you are showing (and not showing) better, in my mind. I'm by no means an expert, just speculating. 

Interesting question. Good luck.

Jan 12, 16 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
Kean Hwa Yap

Your opinion pointed out one of the points that I did not cover. I do really appreciate your opinion and it does help in my research!

Thanks very much !

Jan 13, 16 9:23 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

It doesn't have to be modelled with the same detail as the environment, the main point of augmented reality is to understand the context of the design, it doesn't take massive amounts of rendering or animation. Most of the application at the moment is to look for design flaws and understand materials/size in relative to the environment.

source: I used to work with immersive tech for the construction/architecture/engineering/manufacturing sector.

Jan 13, 16 9:31 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: