Archinect
anchor

Is it inadvisable to include cartoons in application portfolio

gigi.shhh

I don't mean cartoons of buildings I just mean a general cartoon.

I have looked through issuu and haven't seen cartoons in portfolios

Dec 22, 15 11:41 am
Flatfish

No rule against it.  What is it that you want to convey by including the cartoons?  Are they good examples of your ability to convey complex ideas? Do they show superior drawing ability?  If they demonstrate some applicable strength then yes, include them.  If they're just clever then don't.

Portfolios that you'll run across on issu aren't necessarily examples of the best or most successful.  Don't use them as a rule books.

Dec 22, 15 11:51 am  · 
 · 
Shows creativity and drawing skills so why not?

Unless you are drawing hardcore manga.
Dec 22, 15 8:49 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

recommend including

Dec 23, 15 7:21 am  · 
 · 
Andrew.Circle

I don't think this question can be answered without seeing the quality of the cartoon.

I had a really good professor at UC who told us one time to have fun with an installation we were doing - I think she referenced the use of flags or pennants on a Rossi project as a way to add whimsy, something like that. Anyways, my partner (more of a hindrance) wanted to add clip art cartoons to show we were having fun. He added a cloud blowing air around to signify it was windy out, and a man lifting a dumbell to show that part of the installation was heavy. I bet him $40 that the professor would shoot the idea down...still haven't got my $$ from that dumbass.

So, it depends on the cartoon. One of my favorite Christmas presents a couple years ago was Citizens of No Place, a spectacularly drawn sci-fi graphic novel that covers the basics of architecture in a very cool way. It was all cartoons. Very fun read that I go back to from time to time.

Dec 23, 15 10:07 am  · 
 · 
null pointer

recommend including.

i did.

probably helped a lot.

Dec 23, 15 10:33 am  · 
 · 
no_form
If the cartoons were done on your own time without direction of a professor or employer even better. It will showcase your drawing skill, creativity, and thought process. It also can tell someone about you as a person in a good way.
Dec 23, 15 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
Theartist1990

Hi,

I am trying to start a portfolio. I read several blogs and have spoken to various of people including Professors and fellow peers. I am still unsure how to go about making my portfolio. Before I started the architecture, I would draw for a hobby as well as write poetry. I am pretty sure that poetry can't go into the portfolio. I will say that I take a lot of my design process from the way I draw. I have included a link to one of my art pieces below to give an idea of what I am trying to say. I was told that the area of art that I dabble in is considered surrealism, abstract, and partially psychedelic art.

~Theartist1990.

http://www.deviantart.com/art/Tangled-355771858

Dec 28, 15 7:31 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: