Archinect
anchor

MA vs. WA cost of living, quality of life, comparable salaries?

Flatfish

I'm considering a cross-country move, from western MA to Seattle, and am wondering if anyone with experience in working or living or job hunting in both markets can give me some feedback on what's typical and/or livable in both. 
I have about 17 years' experience, licensed, LEED, NCARB, and so forth.  I have some experience in virtually any project type, but primarily in higher ed and municipal and cultural buildings.  I'm currently working in a mid-to-large regional firm as a PM, salary in the mid 70s, which seems average for the region or maybe a little low.  I have an offer from a comparably sized firm in Seattle for a senior PM position at 125k, which sounds good, but I'm wondering: is this a decent offer for the position, and will it will afford the same or better quality of life in that region as my current salary in MA?

I've already looked at cost of living comparison calculators, salary surveys, etc. - I'm looking more for personal experience perspectives from people in the field.  Thanks for any info you can share.

Dec 18, 15 1:32 pm

I'm moving to Seattle in the spring and based on what I've seen of the housing market, you'd be able to live pretty well in Seattle at $125k. (My usual M.O. is to take a hypothetical salary figure, divide it by 40 and use that number as my maximum monthly rent, and then go onto craigslist and apartments.com to see what's available at that rent.) You don't mention whether you're planning to rent or buy, or whether you're single or married or have kids, so your mileage may vary.

According to the latest AIA Compensation Report, the typical salary figures for a PM in Seattle are actually lower than those in Massachusetts, but the Massachusetts numbers are no doubt skewed upwards by Boston. The report doesn't really provide any information that would be specifically useful for western Mass.

Dec 18, 15 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
Flatfish

Thanks for the thoughts David.  I'm single and own a house here, and my mortgage is well below your rent rule of dividing by 40.  If I move I'll probably rent for at least a year or two before considering buying.

Dec 18, 15 2:54 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: