Archinect
anchor

Switching from engineering to architecture

kanajiepr

Hi everyone !

I'm currently studying engineering sciences in a French graduate school of engineering, and have successfully applied for a dual master's degree program in architecture and civil/architectural engineering in another European university. It's a little bit hard to explain my French formation, as it is very specific to France, but for those who might be familiar with that, it's known here as "ingénieur généraliste". Anyway, I'll be fully taking the plunge into architecture next year.

However, all I know at the moment that could be of any use in an architecture degree would be some notions of finite elements method, heat transfer, strength of materials, some basics of structural engineering, and maybe some notions of project management. I have no idea how to conduct a design studio, a master plan, and so on. So I'd be very glad if some of you could give me some advice about how I could prepare for my master next year, and maybe have a few references (books, university courses...) that could be good introductions to courses about urbanism and architecture theory/history, or anything else that could be more on the architectural side than the engineering side.

Thanks a lot ! :)

Dec 11, 15 11:15 am
DeTwan

Why are you perusing architecture? Are you graduating with an engineering degree? Or is this more of a transferring into architecture at this other University?

If the universities in Europe are anything like they are here in the US, you basically just signed up for a fine arts degree. The universities here (and Im guessing in EU too) are riddled full of "professors" that have little to no real world experience, and they will be feeding you programs of fanatical buildings and structures that you will never encounter in a real world situation. They may even look down on you for having somewhat of an engineering background, and being to technical when it comes to design. 

So, basically be prepared to be saddled with debit, sold a mirage of what architecture is, and discover that you wasted a lot of valuable time and money once you get out of the academia world and in to the real one.

Dec 11, 15 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
BR.TN

Why are you perusing architecture? they willl be feeding you programs of fanatical buildings. be prepared to be saddled with debit. #DeTwan

Dec 11, 15 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
StarchitectAlpha

You can pursue architecture with an engineering degree and if you find its not working out you have a useful and respected degree that you can do other things with. If you get a degree in architecture despite what people say, you really can't  do much else with it. At your age all your decisions narrow your field of future possibilities. Choose engineering with some side classes in architecture so that you don't irreversibly narrow your future into only one career option. You will be sacrificing pay, life experience and human relationships for a career that is mostly drafting of others ideas if you choose architecture, you may think you can do it but just in case you change your mind. You have that engineering degree.

Dec 11, 15 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

" I'm currently studying engineering sciences in a French graduate school of engineering"

You are already in engineering graduate school but are going to get an additional double master's degree in 'civil and civil/architectural engineering'? I am confused.

Dec 11, 15 5:26 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: