Archinect
anchor

please recommend some books about design methodology, critical thinking or any books that change your life.

Vendetta

please recommend some books about design methodology, critical thinking or any books that change your life.

Now I study master degree. Sorry if my English skill is very bad...

Actually, after I finish bachelor degree , when I work, I start to think in the same way, the same process everyday, not differn from the way whrn I studied in university much. that why I continue to study Master degree.

Compare with many teachers, they can develop student's process, they can help student, to improve their concept design... How they can? I dont know.

I always ask myself, how I can design  new building with new process. How I can develop my idea or my process or the way of thinking. After I graduate, I hope I can do it

Im looking for some books that make me have more idea or more process to design.

or process to design form of building. human behavior , or some books that change the way of thinking  such as design methodology,  how to ask right question , how to research, and critical thinking.

Now Im reading  tectonic architecture by Frampton and the way that Peter Zumthor design Thermal Bath, Thinking of architecture, lesson for students in architecture . sometime I think it quite basic thing ,but  Its very interesting.

If you have any recommended book, pls let me know.

Thank you.

Aug 7, 15 1:21 am
Non Sequitur

Unweaving the Rainbow: Science, Delusion and the Appetite for Wonder

By Richard Dawkins. 1998.

Aug 7, 15 10:00 am  · 
 · 
JonathanLivingston

Don't read architecture related stuff if your looking for life lessons and philosophy. I personally don't believe that architecture is the lens with which should should interpret the world but rather the output and by product of the way you view the world. 

Of personal influence and I would highly recommend:

Johnathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach

Emerson's Essays on Self Reliance

Cats Cradle by Vonnegut

Aug 7, 15 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

/\ agree and Vonnegut is always good..............Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson..................The Rebel by Albert Camus...............The Blind Owl by Sadegh Hedayat...............The Illusion of the End by Jean Baudrilliard..............a thousand Plateaus by Deleuze and Gautari...............Beyond the Outsider by Colin Wilson...........Infancy and History by Giorgio Agamben..................those should do the trick ;)

Aug 7, 15 6:38 pm  · 
 · 

Wabi-Sabi by Leonard Koren
On Bullshit by Harry Frankfurt
Summa Technologie by Stanislaw Lem

Aug 7, 15 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
go do it

The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck

Aug 8, 15 12:59 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

2 life-changing books in the human behavior and psychology category: The Road Less Traveled and People of the Lie both by M Scott Peck.

Aug 8, 15 11:07 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Atlas of Novel Tectonics by Reiser + Umemoto

1000 Years of Non-Linear History by Manuel Delanda

Guns, Germs, Steel by Jared Diamond

The Structure of Scientific Revolutions by Thomas Kuhn

Aug 8, 15 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
Gemarch
'Creative confidence ' by David kelly and Tom kelly
Aug 8, 15 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
Potentialarch

'Ethics' by Baruch Spinoza

Aug 8, 15 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
TIQM

"Complicity and Conviction" by William Hubbard.

Aug 9, 15 8:45 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

on the way to work - damien hirst

Aug 9, 15 8:56 pm  · 
 · 

"The War of Art"

"The Art of Non-Conformity"

Both books are much more about how to find pleasure through work, which is something I struggled with a lot right out of school.  You really can't comprehend how tedious and relentless life can be until you're in the thick of it. 

Aug 10, 15 8:40 am  · 
 · 
Vendetta

thank u!

Aug 15, 15 11:38 am  · 
 · 
gwharton

"On Bullshit" by Harry G. Frankfurt

This is required reading for anybody who is serious about thinking. Also, it's short, easy to read, and free in PDF form:

http://www.csudh.edu/ccauthen/576f12/frankfurt__harry_-_on_bullshit.pdf

Aug 16, 15 8:29 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

It's not a book but Playboy changed my life at 15.

Aug 16, 15 9:11 pm  · 
 · 
haruki

This set of GA Global Architecture Book 1 -13  at William Stout Books would change my life immensely and for the better if I could afford it:

http://www.stoutbooks.com/cgi-bin/stoutbooks.cgi/66973.html

Aug 17, 15 11:41 am  · 
 · 
JagodaPagoda

Yikes.  That's a lot of money, but those GA books 1-13 would be amazing to have.  You should look on Amazon, Ebay, AbeBooks.  

Aug 17, 15 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

On the Road - Jack Kerouac

Travels with Charley - John Steinbeck

Aug 17, 15 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
haruki

Gee whiz boxy lady, there just so happens to be a set for sale on ebay. I don't suppose you could possibly be the seller.......!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GA-Global-Architecture-Book-1-13-Corbusier-Aalto-Neutra-Breuer-Kahn-etc-/291541531380?hash=item43e13abaf4

Aug 19, 15 1:11 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: